Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minijini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I just moved my mom from pc to a new mac mini. I spent days moving all of he data. Her income depends on her computer and after a pc crash and whole new way of doing things she is really stressed.

We were having problems with quicken, so we went to the apple store for help. They erased some things. I told them we had not backed up yet. Quicken works now, but when we got home all of her settings were gone, all work related emails and address book are gone and who knows what else. I am furious and freaking out.

I found two "recovery files" in the trash, but have no idea what to do with them. I am so upset, someone please help. :eek:

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Don't do anything else and don't empty the trash. Take your computer back to the Apple Store and insist that they recover her email, etc.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
And always, always back up your system before you let any third-party touch it! This includes now before you go back to the Apple Store a second time, if you decide to do that.

minijini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Yes, I spoke to the apple store today and they are researching the issue and are going to get back to me. I know about backing up, all my other macs are, but I just had not had a chance to do it. I told the apple people that when I got there and specifically said I could go home and back it up and then return. that is what I am most upset about. thanks for the advice.

wattthe

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Sydney
i can empathise minijini with your probs loading quicken. As a matter of interst were you loading quicken for mac 2007 or a windows based version of quicken?

minijini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I was transferring files for windows quicken 2007 onto a mac quicken 2007 mac mini. Can you run it for windows with bootcamp? Not sure how that works. I have to take it in tomorrow night to the apple store. They are concerned about the "recovery files" in the trash. The computer was just bought last week and they think it might have a hardware issue. SIGH. My poor mom just can't get a break.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.