lost data

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cindyjj, Jun 9, 2016.

1. cindyjj macrumors regular

I was sorting a bunch of miscellaneous comments from word documents into one document. The one document had been titled and saved after one comment was put in it. Then I spent an hour cut and pasting paragraphs from other documents into that document. Then I was closing a bunch of other documents and when I got to this one, I clicked "don't save" instead of "save" by mistake. So the document saved without all of the added data. Is there any way to retrieve the document as it was before I clicked "don't save" after closing it?

2. richard2 macrumors regular

richard2

3. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

For Mac 2011 14.5.9

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Only if you checked off "Always make a backup" from Word preferences, Save. Otherwise the data is lost.

5. richard2 macrumors regular

richard2

By default, Word automatically saves copies of modified documents every 10 minutes. If you close a modified document and choose not to save your changes, Word will delete the copy; however, it may be possible to recover a deleted copy using software such as Data Rescue.

Word saves the copies in the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Office 2011 AutoRecovery (where the tilde represents the path to your home folder).

6. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

If I check that box, how often does it create back up copies? In other words, had I had that box checked, how much data would have been saved?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2016 ---
    I'm not finding that path when I put it in search nor in my Home folder.

7. richard2 macrumors regular

richard2

The folder ~/Library is hidden by default. To open it in Finder, choose GoLibrary from the menubar while holding option.

8. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

9. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

When you hold down the option/alt key it appears in the Go menu of the Finder.

10. richard2 macrumors regular

richard2

The following are some more detailed instructions:

1. In Finder, open the Go submenu on the menubar (situated at the top of the screen).
    2. Without closing the submenu, hold down the option key on your keyboard. An item labelled "Library" will be added to the submenu.
    3. Choose the item Library.

11. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

You can also make all hidden files visible "forever" with this Terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE; killall Finder

If you want to hide them again just replace TRUE with FALSE.

12. chscag macrumors 68000

"If I check that box, how often does it create back up copies? In other words, had I had that box checked, how much data would have been saved?"

Auto recovery and auto save in Office 2011 is unreliable and seldom works. What you are experiencing has been reported over and over in the MS Office forums. That's why we advise Office users to always select make a backup. If you had done that, the last version (change) of your document would have been saved.