lost desktop on Mac Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pepenero, Aug 8, 2009.

1. pepenero macrumors newbie

My wife has a iMac OS 10.5 and she suddenly lost the desktop. All blue. Classic comes up but can't be opened. She can access the web. But nothing else. She is most concerned about losing her files, not all of which were backed up.
    Anyone out there able to help me with this?
    I tried Tinkertool but with no success.

pepe

2. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

3. celticpride678

Like the first poster said, the only thing that will fix that is an Archive and Install. It will keep all settings, applications and files, but reinstall the system.

4. pepenero thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: My post Aug. 8

Thanks you all for your kind responses and suggestions. Unfortunately I tried (twice) to archive and install, the loading bar came up, was active, did it's thing then went off. The screen was still all blue so I re-started the computer w/ the same result-blue screen. I tried to get Disk Warrior activated but the computer would no accept it, no image ever came up on the screen. I suppose that I will have to take the unit to Teck-Serve here in Manhattan but any last suggestions will be appreciated.

pepe

5. celticpride678

It seems like it is more than a desktop issue. Might be the beginnings of a hard drive failure. Take it to Apple and have them look at it.