Lost desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by petavius, Jun 17, 2011.

1. petavius macrumors newbie

Hi

It would appear that I accidentally moved my desktop folder into my music folder at some stage in the past week. As my desktop icons were still sitting on my desktop, I thought I'd just move the desktop folder back into my home directory. However, now my desktop icons have disappeared. I guess I need to tell the OS to look for my desktop folder in ~/, rather than in ~/Music, which is where I must've put it the other day by accident (did I really do this? Or is there another way it could've ended up in there?!).

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

2. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

If you run in an Admin account, you can do all sorts of damage. Better to run in a Standard account. Could this explain the accident?

3. petavius thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think so - I have to enter a password to do real damage to my system so I would have noticed doing something daft like that if it required root privileges. Either the OS let me do it without root privileges, or something fishy is going on.

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

You should have full privs to you home folder except for a few things that go into ~/Library/ where some items are placed with explicit permissions to not allow write access.

There is nothing to do with the folder, just move it back.

5. petavius thread starter macrumors newbie

I have moved it back, but the items that I see listed in the directory (both in the finder, and by $> ls ~/Desktop) don't appear on the actual desktop (i.e. if I remove/minimise all my windows, my desktop still has a pretty photo but no files in it. I can't drag files onto my desktop either... It's as though the OS doesn't know where the Desktop folder is.