Lost discs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Mar 10, 2009.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I came home for vacation and decided to reformat my imac g5 to get a fresh start. I backed up all my files, took out my leopard retail box, and was ready to go when I opened up the box, and noticed no disc. I have no idea where it went.

I have the install discs from the computer when i got it, but it only has 10.4, so id rather not use them. I have the install discs from my macbook pro with 10.5, but I am pretty sure it will not work.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just go ahead and install 10.4 until and then just install 10.5 when i find it? (i really hate doing this, I hate having more than one version of an os installed)

thanks

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

System install disks (Not the retail disks) are machine specific, they don't usually work.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Since you are right about the MacBook Pro disks not working to install an OS on the G5, the only other alternative you have to using 10.4 until you find the 10.5 disk is to go purchase another copy of 10.5 it would seem. After you find the existing one you could always get some of your money back by selling one.