Lost emails on mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by guruminga, Nov 18, 2010.

1. guruminga macrumors newbie

Hi

Running mail with 2 email accounts, one old one that I could still recieve emails from but not send any; the other is the main email that I use. I deleted the old account then could not send any emails. I spoke to my ISP and have fixed the sending problem, but now I seem to have lost a heap of emails, possibly all the ones that had been sent to the old account but also a long one that my wife had just written that was in drafts as it was unable to send.

I would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on my problem, and maybe offer a solution. Essentially we want to recover the emails we recieved, and the one that was in drafts.

Cheers

G

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. guruminga thread starter macrumors newbie

pop

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Are you using Time Machine? That's recovered emails for me before now.

Open up mail and then go into TM, you'll see a message like 'click recover to retrieve an inbox or click on a folder to restore'. You should presumably be looking at either sent items or draft or some such.

IME the retrieved emails get moved back into a folder within a main folder called 'time machine'.

5. guruminga thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tumbleweed, unfortunately I'm not using Time Machine. I recently got myself a big external drive for back-ups, etc. But haven't hooked it up yet.

Cheers

G

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Well there you go, you do need to plug it in and click 'yes' to the TM prompt before it will work :)

7. hirameagle macrumors newbie

What if it's an IMAP acct?

Tumbleweed....I had a POP and was having trouble sending mail to large mail "groups", so set up another acct, this time it was set up as an IMAP acct (I guess since I had installed Snow Leopard in the interim). I THOUGHT that had solved the problem and I was getting mail twice, so I deleted the old POP acct and lost my old Inbox and Sent box.

Thos old boxes appear to be there in TM. Can I recover them into the new IMAP acct like you mention about without creating other problems?