Lost emails using Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by strawberry-jim, Jun 17, 2008.

1. strawberry-jim macrumors newbie

Can anyone help, I've lost all my emails!

Am sure this question has probably been asked a few times but can't seem to find the right solution for my problem.

Basically what has happened is that all the emails in one of my accounts in "Mail" has disappeared. At first it said: "The message from whoever <whoever@domain.com> concerning “Mail Subject” has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it."

The strange thing is though, all of my emails were downloaded and deleted from the server so it didn't matter if I was online or not, I could still read them. This goes for all my sent emails too.

Was just wondering if anyone knew a way of retrieving them?

Cheers,
    Jim

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

How about deleting the account in mail preferences and then setting it up once again. It should then bring in all the mail currently in your inbox. As far as sent mail, I doubt it will bring that in unless it is stored on a server. As a final issue are you using IMAP or POP? If it's not IMAP, this might be a bit more difficult.

3. strawberry-jim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Aniej, unfortunately though I am using POP. Once my emails are downloaded they are deleted from the server so setting up the account again would not really help as there is nothing to download.

Was just wondering if there was anyway of recovering the emails from my computer at all?

Thanks again.