Lost every single application on my mac!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ammanbesaw, Sep 23, 2009.

1. ammanbesaw macrumors newbie

i don't know what happened, i was using my laptop fine this morning, this afternoon when i opened it up again and tried to open my applications on the dock, they all have big question marks on them. so i went to my applications folder and there is NOTHING THERE. i have even lost itunes and safari and all the utilities that comes with apple. i still have all my movie collections and folders and pictures though. it's just my applications that i can't find. i did a little reading and found out that i might have to "repair the permissions" but i don't have "disk utility" to do that with cause it's NOT THERE. is repairing the permission the solution? and if so, is there another software that can do that for me???

sorry, forgot to tell u. i have a macbook unibody, running os 10.5.8. it has NEVER had any problems before

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

The quickest way I can think is to use your Time Machine backup and just copy them back.

If not, you can try running Disk Utility, but I really doubt that'll fix it. Since you don't have Disk Utility on your computer, you could boot from your restore DVD. Once it boots off the DVD, at the top of the screen, there should should a menu bar with "Utilities". Disk Utility should be one of the options.

Lastly, you can do a reinstall of the OS.

3. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

How much free space did your hard drive have before this happened? How big is the difference between then and now?

4. ammanbesaw thread starter macrumors newbie

there seems to be a good chunk gone. i upgraded my hard drive to 500GB and last time i remember i had about 160GB left, now i have about 220GB. my movie and music collection is about 200GB. Which would leave about 60GB for whatever is left on my hard drive (which i haven't checked all of yet). another thing i noticed was that the original dmg files are still there. example, i downloaded adobe CS4 master collection 2 days ago which was about 6.9 gigs. i installed it and it had over 10 Adobe applications. now they are all gone but the dmg file is still here and i can reinstall them all again. same with all other apps who's install files haven't been deleted......and i've done a spotlight search and a path finder search (reinstalled) and i still can't find any apps. are they still in my hard drive and just relocated somewhere where finder can't find them? or have they been deleted?

5. devburke Guest

Sounds like they’re gone dude. Are you using Time Machine?

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Take it in to the Apple store? The geniuses know what they're doing (usually), so if the files are still there they might be able to find them for you.