lost everything in macJournal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeyf, Sep 29, 2017.

1. jeyf macrumors 65816

guess this may have been posted before but worth another notice

I have revision 6 of macJournal. About 50meg of daily stuff.
    the other day, all brand new, macJournal put up an err prompt; "object has no content". All the entries dispolayed zero length. Seems log in, password and un-encryption all worked. Seemed the entries were there only unable to display. Looks like the error crept in the other afternoon and was synced into every computer i have.

this has a good ending
    i found a pre error backup on one of my virtual macs and was able to restore everything.

If its important because you have been keeping years of a running daily journal than remember to keep several backups in the rotation. Like 15 backups so there is a recent pre error copy to fall back on.

rude awakening; macJournal company peeps will post below but just the way it is...

2. jeyf thread starter macrumors 65816

never got a reply from macJournal
    after i re did the journal form a backup it failed again

3. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

I'd be very very hesitant to put all my stuff into one app with (what I assume is) a proprietary database like that. I'm using Ulysses (pre-subscription version) and even though its files are all save in markdown format and are somewhere in my iCloud file system, I still get a little skeeved out by having it all in one place. In fact, reading this makes me think I should peel off a backup copy of everything right now.

4. jeyf thread starter macrumors 65816

makes you wonder if the next macjournal revision will ever be or if it will be subscription