Lost Everything on my Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gigi2006pt, Jan 28, 2010.

1. gigi2006pt macrumors newbie

Hi could someone please help me.
    I lost everything on my desktop, all my folders and files. When i go to the MAC OS X and click on desktop it says : The folder "Desktop" could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges. I don't know where all my things have gone. I can't save anything onto the desktop.
    Please help, thank you!

2. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Have you recently made any changes to any computer-wide settings? or changed any permissions? At any rate, try a repair with Disk Utility. It may solve your problems.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac OS X version and what Mac do you use? Do you use an administrator account or standard account? Do you have more than one account?
    Have you checked the "Sharing & Permissions" options of your Desktop folder (via Finder window and opening your home folder and selecting the Desktop folder and pressing CMD+I)?

[​IMG]

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Try rebooting, and if that doesn't work, repair permissions in Disk Utility.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It sounds like you or someone else changed the username for the account recently and the permissions are all awry. If you suspect this to be the case, follow this article to try to recover your information.

6. gigi2006pt thread starter macrumors newbie

Problems with my desktop

I am using an administrator account as there are no other accounts. There are no passwords either. am using a power book G4 Mac Os X Version 10.3.9
    I don't have anything saying sharing and permissions. If I do click on the desktop it says that i don't have sufficient access privileges. I don't understand how that is possible if i am the only one using the computer.
    I did as you said and selected the desktop folder pressing CMD+I the results show that there are --KB on disk (--bytes) at the bottom it says locked. How can it be locked and where was it locked from? And why are there no bytes nor KB on disk??
    All help would be appreciated, thank you!!!:)