Lost Files :( Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by babydash, Jan 8, 2013.

1. babydash macrumors newbie

Ok so I have an external hard drive that I keep pictures and docs on. It's a 500GB SeaGate Free Agent GoFlex.

Recently I plugged it into my MacBook and it never showed up in finder or my desktop. It lit up and my Mac starting running really slowly.

I went into the disk utility where it was showing up as; "500.11 GB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Media." Underneath that is a picture that is a lighter shade than the one above. This one is titled "Untitled".

The "untitled" one is where everything I have is located. I couldn't mount it and it suggested First Aid. I started with verify.

This is what happens;

Verifying volume “Untitled”
    Invalid sibling link
    The volume Untitled was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
    Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

So I obviously clicked Repair and this is what happened;

Verify and Repair volume “Untitled”
    Invalid sibling link
    The volume Untitled was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

On the bottom is says "Repairing Volume. Estimated time: 1 minute."
    It has been hours and nothing has changed. The External's light went out but every once and a while comes back on.

HOW CAN I FIX THIS!!!???? ARGHHH

Help me please get the files back!

Thank you

2. babydash thread starter macrumors newbie

593 views and no one has been able to help yet?! Now I'm really freaking out!

3. simsaladimbamba

To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash or are on unrecognisable partitions or HDDs or on accidentally formatted partitions or HDDs, you can use

• Data Rescue 3 - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • FileSalvage - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • DiskDrill - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (79 USD)
    • Nice To Recover - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (69.95 USD)

I guess you also have no backup?

----------

Two hours with no replies does not mean much, maybe there are not that many people capable to properly help you browsing the right sub fora?

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Not all registered "views" are from actual human beings either. (Google's web crawler springs to mind as one possibility that adds to the number of recorded "views".)

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

And bumping a thread after only two hours is very tacky.

6. babydash thread starter macrumors newbie

Originally I thought that this wouldn't work because the HD is not even recognized by the computer but then I realized I copied all of the HD to my Mac a few weeks ago and then deleted them off there. So I downloaded the data recovery and searched deleted pictures. IT WORKED butttttt it found 120,000 pictures haha. Many are duplicates and many I don't even want. Is there a way to mass delete about 50,000 things at a time without dragging into the trash can?

Thanks for the help though you helped me find the files!

----------

Interesting!

I never considered that I was just in panic. Thanks for the insight, I'm obviously computer illiterate! lol

7. benji888, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Apple's disk utility is limited. DiskWarrior is a great disk utility, can fix things no other utility can because it works differently, (but, it may not work on everything). I suggest getting this, you may be able to recover your drive.

review:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386678,00.asp (...you may not find a new review on this app as it has worked well for years and Apple hasn't changed the disk system for quite a while. The latest version (4.4) works on Mtn. Lion and older OS's.)

http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

8. Edie Brickell macrumors member

Disk Warrior can be helpful if you are not able to fix your drive with Disk utility. Sometimes disk utility cannot fix and repair the hard drive issues and we use third party tools which are good enough to repair the hard drive like disk warrior and drive toolbox for Mac.