Lost folder on ext drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NorCal-Cyclist, Feb 25, 2009.

1. NorCal-Cyclist macrumors newbie

Greetings -

I was copying some files onto my external WD drive and was surfing while the files were copying. When the copy process ended, I went back to the destination window/folder and clicked the "prev" arrow to jump up a level. Upon doing that, I "lost" the folder I was in - it seems to have dissappeared from Finder? I checked and the storage space seems to still be used on the external drive, but I can't seem to "see" the folder (and all the subfolders/files) in question. I tried ejecting the USB drive and re-mounting it using Disk Utility, and also restarted my MBP - both to no avail :confused:

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

2. NorCal-Cyclist thread starter macrumors newbie

Update -

this week I also tried Houdini and Onyx to no avail :confused:

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll try a few more things - a script, a terminal command, and then hooking the drive up to a Windows machine to check if I can "see" the folder. Again - the drive space indicates the folder/files are still there, just can't "see" them. Otherwise, I guess I just lost somewhere around 700GB of info :eek:

PLEASE HELP!!!

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Disk utility: repair permissions, repair disk

If that doesn't work you might need to use Disk warrior

Why don't you just copy the files over again?

4. NorCal-Cyclist thread starter macrumors newbie

I would copy the files over again, except I had violated the cardinal rule of data storage - I didn't have a backup copy of the information. Time to consider a couple of BIG storage solutions....maybe a RAID setup.

I'm going to try the repair permissions, since I only tried to verify/repair the drive. Then I'll ponder coughing up the $100 for Disk Warrior....might just end up trying to absorb the loss of data.

Thank you for replying!!