Lost folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SkyBell, Nov 10, 2007.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

So, I was trying to move a folder I had in the finder window to my desktop. When I put it there, *POOF* it disappears. Now, I can't find it and it had a lot of important information to me in it. Spotlight is no help, as there are apparently 6 or 7 folders with the same name, and neither is the one I'm looking for. Anyway to find this lost folder?

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Maybe trying to search for something inside the folder, instead of the folder itself?

Have you upgraded to 10.5 yet, and have TM running?

3. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

Sounds like you were trying to move a sidebar item. They are all aliases and will "poof" just like Dock icons. Your original is there. If you can't remember the location, look at the 6 or 7 folders to see which it is. You can disregard anything that isn't local.

And try mac-convert's advice about the search parameters.

-mj

4. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'm not running Leopard, and yeah it was a sidebar icon.

I've already looked at all the folders that spotlight came up with and it's not there.

Funny thing is, when I go to upload something, it automatically defaults to said folder, but I can't tell where it is.

5. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

Well, what are you using for uploads and what folder is it pointed to as default?

-mj

6. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

It's a big folder I have labeled "Downloads" with pictures and files and such that don't seem to have a place, but are too important to delete.

When I went to change my avatar here on MR, when I clicked "Upload" the window popped up and defaulted to said folder. Which means it's there, it's just lost.

7. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

WhatSize should help you find it.

-mj

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Look in your browser's preferences. There should, under general, be a "Save files to" or similar option (most likely to /Users/<your username>/Downloads if you haven't changed it yourself, which means it should be in your user's home folder), and that's where you find your Downloads folder.

When you locate it, just drag it back to the Finder's sidebar... :)

9. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Just click the drop down list in the file upload window and you should see the path of the folder.