Lost Folders & Icon Order!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by billchase2, Aug 19, 2010.

1. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

I ran a few App Store updates today when all of my folders disappeared and the apps decided to reposition themselves in alphabetical order. I've resprung & restarted but no luck. I now have many more than the 11 allowed pages of apps and really do not want to spend the time moving all of the apps back into place on my iPhone 4 or using iTunes on my computer.

First, does anyone know what happened? I'm jailbroken and haven't had any issues until now. I have not synced with my computer since this happened. Could I possibly SSH into my phone and take a file from my computer and replace it on my iPhone? Any other ideas?

This is incredibly frustrating as I now have no idea where my apps are and must search whenever I want to use one. Please help!

2. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Did you install Iconoclasm?

3. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

This has happened to me after updating close to 13 apps at once. I wasn’t jailbroken, but every app in my library decided to install itself and all my folders vanished.

Just restore from a recent backup. Your folders and everything else will be reverted to normal, but all the apps will still be fully updated.

4. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

No Iconoclasm & I'd rather not restore from backup, if possible. I'm jailbroken & would rather nor have to redo all of that.

Are there any other options? Is there a plist somewhere that I can SSH over from my computer?

5. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

there might be an icon order .plist file.

I just don’t know where the backups are located on the computer.

6. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

You know "restore from backup" is NOT the same as doing a firmware restore, right?

Right click on your phone in iTunes and select "restore from backup". This will allow you to restore your app settings WITHOUT wiping your phone. You will only lose any data you have updated since the restore point you choose. So if you synced and backed up with iTunes yesterday, you can restore to that point. You can pick from a list of backups that iTunes has on file. Just pick the latest on you have from before the "crash".

I found this extremely useful when I had exactly this scenario a few weeks ago...

To be clear, the "restore from backup" option WILL NOT wipe your jailbreak or reinstall the firmware. It should only take a few minutes to complete.

7. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

Interesting... Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try and see what happens! I luckily just backed up last night.

EDIT: It worked!! Whew... you guys saved me a ton of time. I've always assumed that "restore from backup" did an entire firmware restore. Thank you so much for the info! I owe ya a beer. ;-)

EDIT 2: Are there any jailbroken apps that allow you to back up your icon positioning in case this happens again? I looked up Iconoclasm but didn't see the feature listed. I used to use SpringBack but didn't know if it was compatible with the iPhone 4/iOS 4.