Lost GBs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Telp, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

My computer went from GBs to MBs without me doing anything. Is this a virus? How do i fix this?

2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Can you give us some more information please?

3. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

What more do you need? I had like 15GB and then all of a sudden i had a couple MBs left. I didnt do anything to lose these GBs.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

5. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Can you explain what a runaway log file is?

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

A log file that starts growing like crazy. I had a log file once related to a keyboard error that grew to over 30GBs.

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've seen this being reported in Macrumors quite often, but it's never happened to me - if it did, I would be curious to see what's causing the logging, but every time I've asked anyone this has happened to, they've already deleted the problem file.

Anyway, if you open Terminal, you can type "cd /var/log", then "ls -la". Is there a huge file there? If so, what is it, and what's being logged?

You can usually delete any huge log file without any problems.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Messages about what's going on with your system are constantly being generated and sent to log files. You can see many of them using the Console app in your Utilities folder. Sometimes something gets screwed up and stuck in an infinite loop, generating GBs worth of entries in your log file.

It's generally safe to simply restart your computer and delete the huge log file. Frequently the issue never re-occurs and it's not worth tracking down the cause...these things are pretty rare. But if it happens again, then it's time to figure out what's going on.

10. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

It seems that the problem comes from a folder inside the library folder called mirrors. Sound familiar to anyone?

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt