Carrier Lost Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan for iPhone 5S (AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by laughingperson5, Jan 28, 2014.

1. laughingperson5, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Hey folks,
    (It's been a good four/five years since I've gone into the forum, but back to the post.)

After three years with the iPhone 4 and a broken microphone/home button/volume button/scratched up camera later, my mom decided to give me a 5S for my birthday.

When I got our phones in the mail and activated them, I noticed that AT&T took away the unlimited data plans we've had since 2008 and now we're stuck with a 3 GB plan for $30. My mother didn't know that our phones were supposed to keep the unlimited data plan, and a friend told me AT&T stopped grandfathering the data plan. Is it true? Or did we just get duped? (Edit: Think it would be worth mentioning that she didn't see any plan titled "Unlimited 4G LTE Plan" like stated on a blog post from evolver.fm)

Any suggested courses of action in getting back our unlimited data plans?
    Thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

She must have accidentally selected the 3GB plan when she ordered online or AT&T messed up and switched you.
    All you have to do is have the account holder call AT&T and speak to a supervisor.
    Explain to them what happened and that you been a longtime customer and you want to keep your old unlimited data plan and that you want them to correct this right away.
    They can do it, don't take no for an answer or any excuses that its not available in their system any more. Higher up managers or tech can pull it back up and as long as they can see that you had it all this time and it just got switched by accident they will reinstate it.

3. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I think you have 14 days to cancel any changes you made. You return the phones and get them to reverse all the changes they made when ordering the new phones. that should get you back to the original plan you had. Then maybe after a billing cycle just to be sure you can order the phones again and be sure to keep your unlimited data. But AT&T might just force you to their current plan structures if you want to make any changes to your old plan. Hope this helps…..

4. I7guy macrumors G5

Will ATT grandfather your unlimited data if you buy a subsidized phone? Verizon won't. And because you made a plan change with the subsidized phone they might not revert it. Good luck.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just bite the bullet, because ATT as is VZW is been trying to move the grandfathered folks off the unlimited plan, it was inevitable. Besides you now can avoid he throttling that occurs.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

AT&T does let you upgrade and keep unlimited.

OP, you need to do what apple juice said. They can add it back no matter what a CSR says.

7. TWD98j macrumors regular

For what it's worth, when I upgraded from my 4S to my 5S back on launch day in September, I asked no less than 3 AT&T reps about grandfathered plans.

Because of the limited availability of 5S at launch, I ended up visiting 2 local AT&T stores and calling a 3rd one, to find out what info I could about what they were going to be doing for 5S launch that day. I even went to AT&T's site and got a rep on live chat as well. I asked each one of them if I would be able to keep my plan as is - 450 min with rollover, 1500 texts, unlimited data, FAN discount - that I've had since 2008.

Each one of them replied that AT&T would never take my plan features away from me and that I could keep it for the rest of my life. Even when I went to the local AT&T store on 5S launch day to upgrade, the in store reps had iPads to process the transactions and she basically handed it to me to make sure I was selecting the plan features I wanted. I simply made sure everything had defaulted to my current features is all.

I will say that AT&T has taken care of me well in the 6 years that I've been a customer.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, they let you keep it if you upgrade.

I had an issue a few years ago, shortly after unlimited data went away, where I upgraded my line at the AT&T kiosk in Costco and the rep there must've messed something up and removed my unlimited data. One quick call to customer service got my unlimited data back, and I've been through 2 upgrades since then and still have it.

9. blarivee macrumors 6502

Whoever that did the upgrade messed up. AT&T allows you to keep your grandfathered plans and purchase a subsidized phone. I would suggest you try to get it resolved before your 14-days of trial period are up since you would still have the negotiating power (a.k.a. cancelling/reversing the upgrade).

10. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

It was a honest mistake and Att will allow you to keep your unlimited data. Call customer care and they will see that it was on there previously and add it back...

11. frito1224 macrumors regular

With the unlimited plan you get 60 days to have it put back on if its removed but i recommend calling them and having it done asap

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Last November I upgraded to 5s from 4s at AT&T store and they didn't change my grandfathered unlimited data plan so I am happy with it. :apple:

13. wildmangk macrumors newbie

Ive had this same problem but they always fix it. Especially if its their fault they will get right on it.

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

They should return it back to teh original plan even though if you ordered on the Internet, there should have had a warning pop up telling you tht you were going to loose the plan.

Call them ASAP

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I think their goal is for everyone to "lose" that plan by "accident." ;)

16. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I will avoid that accident.

17. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Me too :)