Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I have Charter IMAP email setup on my iPhone 4. My main PC is the only computer in my home that is set to delete email from the Charter POP server once received. After I downloaded all my email from that PC, now all the email I had in my iPhone inbox are gone, yet the emails are still on my Macbook Pro. The MBP email is setup as a POP account for Charter.

How do I get those emails back on my iPhone? The whole thing is confusing me?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I have Charter IMAP email setup on my iPhone 4. My main PC is the only computer in my home that is set to delete email from the Charter POP server once received. After I downloaded all my email from that PC, now all the email I had in my iPhone inbox are gone, yet the emails are still on my Macbook Pro. The MBP email is setup as a POP account for Charter.

How do I get those emails back on my iPhone? The whole thing is confusing me?

Err... Many things about your post confuse me, but we'll start off with "an account is either POP or IMAP- not both." Which is it?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
On my iPhone the Charter email is setup as an IMAP account. But the same account on my MBP and PC are setup as a POP account.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
POP works by downloading all your messages stored on a server to the local machine, then removing the messages from the server. So- your PC did exactly what it was supposed to.

To prevent this from happening in the future, switch your home computers over to IMAP... although I still don't quite understand how your account is being accessed by both protocols simultaneously.

Someone else will have to help you with getting your messages back, I have some ideas but can't test them at work.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I know what POP does on my PC, just wasn't sure why the old emails that were on my iPhone disappeared, when they are still on my MBP. I understand that new emails that were downloaded when I checked my PC would now not show up on my other devices. But emails that had been downloaded to my devices, should have stayed there and not be removed, until I deleted them.

There doesn't even seem to be a way to create a saved folder for Charter IMAP email on my iPhone.

Last edited:

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I'm now wondering if my issue is because Charter email on my iPhone 4 is setup as an IMAP account.

I'm thinking that the inbox will only show what is waiting on the Charter email server and once the email has been retrieved and deleted from the server (which is what my PC does), then my iPhone 4 will no longer show email in the inbox. My MBP however has my Charter email setup as a POP account (set to keep email on the server), so the inbox email on this computer is not deleted when my PC checks email. Obviously if I downloaded email on my PC prior to using my MBP then it would not be able to get the email.

If I could create a saved email folder on my iPhone 4, then I could keep my old emails on it without losing them when using my PC for email. But I can't find a way to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.