Lost Installation DVD's but really need to re-install... help???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jordanborth, Jun 22, 2007.

1. jordanborth macrumors newbie

So, my system is pretty messed up and I determined the only way to fix it is to re-install OS X, unfortunately I can't find my installation disks... I have no idea where they could be. I assume that OS X install disks all come paired with the computer or something? I borrowed a friends copy and when I tried and boot into it, it says that it can not be installed on my computer... I thought it may have just been his copy, so I tried another copy... Nothing. So what am I supposed to do? I don't have my disks and I can't boot from others.... Help?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

How old is your computer? I've heard that Apple will send out replacement disks for a small fee, but I don't know whether there's a 'time limit" on that service.

3. jordanborth thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Give apple a call and see what they'll do. Since the current retail version of Mac OS X apparently doesn't isn't for the intel computers, I would think you should be able to get apple to replace your disks

As for trying to install off of disks that came with other peoples' computers....apple has set those disks to only install on a certain range of computers and that means you wont be able to install on your macbook

5. jordanborth thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know where I would be able to find a number to call? I've searched the site and can't really find what I 'think' I'm looking for...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe it would help if you actually told us what country you live in? ;)

If you're a US consumer, call 1-800-275-2273.

Otherwise, look here.

7. Angrist macrumors 6502

Unless you can find someone with the same model MacBook, which shouldn't be THAT hard. Then it should work fine.

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

If you have AppleCare, Apple will mail you the discs for free. If your computer is no longer under warranty, the charge was $25 per disc last time I checked.

9. z400central macrumors regular

Take it to the store and they will do it for you. I had mine back in Cali and needed them when I was in Boston. Took it to a local store and had no problem.