lost internet capability on g4 emac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kayacric, Feb 15, 2014.

1. kayacric macrumors newbie

we had a power outage a few days ago and since then my emac g4 will not go on line by wireless or direct ethernet. First trouble shot all the modem and routers, nothing there ,I have good wireless 64mbs. I replaced my linksys router with an apple router and it works great with all my other tools. I gave up after having it for 9 years and bought a iMac. But was wondering if it is worth trouble shooting the g4, where would I look, can I access internals, or what uses can it have if i cant get it to connect to my network. seems strange that neither wired or wireless work. At the same time I lost power i had to manually reset the date time, it would not do it automatically. Is that a sign? The local mac store said just trash it but It seems a lot of folks still want these. Where do I start, again im not a computer wiz by any stretch. Thanks

2. archtopshop macrumors regular

This is just a WAG.;)

Check the firewall setting. Set it to allow all incoming connections. See if your router can then assign an address via DHCP. You can change it back later.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Screenshot the network pane in System Preferences when selecting whatever interface you use to get on the network.

4. kayacric thread starter macrumors newbie

lost internet on g4

you guys are great, a simple thing. i turned off the firewall and shuffled the dhcp and viola. now i have two computers, what could i use the old g4 for? is anybody buying these things? how would I wipe the hard drive if I dont have a boot or the original disk? I only have a upgrade disk for leopard upgrade. this a g4 emac 1.25ghz, 1.5 gb ram . 350 gig hd.

5. archtopshop macrumors regular

If you're talking about the Leopard Upgrade Disk, also called the CPU Drop-in Disk, then that's all you need to install Leopard. You don't actually need to have Tiger installed first. Just follow the directions below. I own the Drop-in disk and have done this many times.

Attached Files:

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Many of us here use PowerPCs as daily drivers. Granted you have a 1.25 GHz G4 and not a high end G4 or G5 to work with, it will still be a good machine. Here is some software that will run on there.

Leopard 10.5
    TenFourFox
    Microsoft Office 2008
    iWork 09
    iLife 09 barring iMovie
    Xcode 3.1.4
    Adobe CS2-CS4
    Audacity
    GIMP 2.6
    MacTubes
    Skype 2.8
    Spotify

As you can tell PPCs are still good for many things. Let us know if you need version numbers or links to some of the free software!

7. AmestrisXServe, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

I wouldn't bother with either CS2 or CS4. Most of what is in CS4 is Intel-only, and either the original CS, or CS3 would be best. CS is all PPC, and will give the best performance on a G4, vs. CS2 or CS3.

Dear me, there are over ten-thousand programmes that you can run on a G4, and if you include the classic environment, you can run things like Framemaker, which is crucial to my work, and the last Mac version of it is bluebox, so it needs OS9 to run, either via Classic, or Sheepshaver.

(Adobe never released an OSX version of FM7, or later.)

Let's not forget Corel suite (Corel Painter IX) either.

There are a variety of Intuos drivers, and you can use the Intuos2 or Intuos3 tablets on it, with CS and Corel; with decent performance on your configuration.

Other (important) PPC programmes:

10.4 Server Admin Tools
    After Effects 6/6.5
    Alien Skin (PS Plugin Series)
    Appleworks 6
    Art Director's Toolkit 3/4
    Carbon Copy Cloner 2.1.1/3.x
    Chicken of the VNC
    Coda
    DivX Doctor
    DivX Encoder
    Dock Tools
    DomainBrain
    DVD2oneX2
    Final Draft 7
    Firecracker
    Firefox
    FontDoctor X
    Framemaker 7
    gRphic Converter
    GURU
    Handbrake
    HexEdit
    iCab 4
    iGetter
    iLinkPod
    Image Capture
    iSquint
    iSwipe
    iTunes 3/4 (Internet/WAN streaming)
    iTunes 6/7
    JFuse
    Lightwave
    Lightwave 3D
    Mac the Ripper
    MacAmp
    MacPorts
    Macromedia Dreamwaver 2004
    Macromedia Flash 8
    Melody Assistant X
    MenuMeters
    NetFinder
    Office 2004
    OpenDNS Updater
    OSXVnc
    Pandora
    Pic2Icon
    Process Wizard
    Quickbooks 6
    RAGE Webtools
    Roxio Toast 6/7/8
    SANE (SANE/TWAIN Scanner Bridge)
    SideTrack (for laptops)
    Suitcase Fusion (a font management system from Extensis)
    SWF Player
    Tabmeister
    TechTool Pro 4
    Tinkertool
    Tomeviewer
    UnRAR X
    Virtual PC 6/7
    VLC 0.8.6 / 0.9.2
    Whois Analyser Pro
    Windows Media Player