Lost ipad, go with Pro or Air 2 again

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jerryk, Nov 16, 2016.

1. jerryk macrumors 68020

Hi,

I left my iPad Air 2 in the seat pocket of an airplane. SWA may find it, but if they don't. should I go for a replacement iPad Air 2 or a 9.7 ipad Pro.

Most of my usage of the device is a media consumption (YouTube, Spotify, etc.) But, I also do answer emails and such. I am just not sure I do it enough to justify the over $200 price premium. Thoughts?

Also, any ideas on where to get the best prices? I would like to get a replacement soon.

Thanks!

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The 9.7 Pro has a lot to offer. It's faster with quad speakers, Tru-Tone display, brighter screen and the battery life is great.

The 9.7 Pro is not milestones better than Air 2, but it is better. The price difference is approximately $200.00 pending where you purchase it. The Air 2 is regularly on sale, usually from Staples or Best Buy. But I also see the 9.7 Pro on sale sometimes as well. Timing is everything.

If it were me, the Air 2 is still plenty powerful And if into media primarily, then the Air 2 should suit your needs. Although, the 9.7 Pro is still a great upgrade. Also, keep in mind, March 2017 is Apple's Keynote, with three iPads supposedly to be announced.

3. jerryk thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. I did some searching and the iPad Air 2 seems to not have many deals unless you want one with cellular, which I don't. Anyone know if there will be deals coming up on Black Friday and beyond? I don't think I can wait until March to get a replacement.

4. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I haven't seen any Black Friday deals. I believe the Gold Air 2 16GB is priced at $365.00 on Amazon if your interested.

5. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Target will have the Air 2 at $125 off on Black Friday. I think it's $150 off the Pros. I plan on getting an Air 2 then to replace my aging iPad 3.

6. jerryk thread starter macrumors 68020

Do have to walk in to get those deals, or can you get it online?

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

In store only. That's what I was told when I called my Target. They also said quantities will be strained. Good luck with the crowds.

8. BB1970 macrumors member

As a 9.7 Pro (128gb) user, the True Tone screen is worth the price of admission alone. It has saved my eyes from long viewings. My iPad is my primary machine. I do nearly EVERYTHING with it. I used to own the Air 2 as well, so I know the difference. I simply can not emphasize enough the advantages of the Pro over the Air 2. I never turn off the True Tone screen. As far as best prices, I recommend BH Photo (great store - no tax outside NY, Costco, Best Buy has deals often). Good luck.

9. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

That's a good point about the Tru-Tone display if your vieweing the iPad for longer periods, with the more warmer tones. The quad speaker are a huge improvement over the Air 2. But these two features are really the only major features over the Air 2, besides the Pencil Support.

That's said, the 9.7 Pro is not that much faster than the Air 2 in terms of performance. Which is why I am waiting until March for the refesh. The A11 chip is set to be a game changer, if we see it in March.

10. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

It will be online too, starting at least early Thursday (thanksgiving) morning. The press release also mentions something about select sales starting Wednesday, but doesn't say which ones it is exactly.

https://corporate.target.com/press/...t-reveals-black-friday-deals-stores-to-open-a

11. jerryk thread starter macrumors 68020

12. Jessica08 macrumors regular

Jessica08

I was hoping the 12.9" Pro would be on sale, but I'm only seeing deals on the smaller screen size. I wonder why that is? I guess I will end up buying from Best Buy because they offer $75 off. That beats paying full price I guess.

13. jerryk thread starter macrumors 68020

Looks like I need to get serious on this. SWA sent me an email saying they have not found my iPad Air2. :(

Since Black Friday is right around the corner I am wondering if I still wondering about the iPad Air 2 vs. 9.7 pro.

When I look at the Pros I see that it could be useful in my work. I do training on tech online and read a lot of PDFs and website. Being able to take notes and annotate PDFs with the pencil would be useful.

Does anyone else use their Pro in this way? If so, does it work well for this task?

14. jerryk thread starter macrumors 68020

Surprise, surprise. After 11 days they have found my iPad Air 2 and are sending it back to me. Of course, this is 2 days after I bought a iPad Pro 9.7. I will give the Air 2 my daughter to replace her iPad 3.

15. melman101 macrumors 68030

I use my iPad Pro to fill out PDFs all the time on it. Love it.