Lost iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nick16, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Nick16 macrumors regular

I'm at a week-long summit, arrived via plane on Sunday and went to use my iPad last night and discovered it wasn't in my bag (drawstring sport bag which was my carry on). The last time I know I saw it for a fact was in my bag, on the plane. Bag wasn't ever unattended and sat in the hotel room (which wasn't ever cleaned, i.e. no cleaning crew entered the room). I'm here through Friday and not sure what to do. I called LP at the hotel and they logged it and performed a lock interrogation.

In terms of the iPad, it's wifi only so I can't locate it. What I'm curious to know is if someone finds it, steals it, resets it (b/c it has a pass code), and then connects to wifi, will it still be in my Find My iPad account or am I pretty much screwed?

Any input or advice is really appreciated because this sucks. A lot.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, unfortunately, if they wipe it you're toast. This is a simple or seemingly simple security feature that Apple should implement and they don't.
    You say you cannot locate it because it is wifi only? How come? Doesn't the hotel have wifi? Have you tried to locate it through Fine your iPad?

3. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

My only input is a wish ... I wish who stole your iPad would be forced soon to sell it to buy medicines !

4. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

The iPad is wifi only so Find my iPad won't work unless the iPad is connected to wifi. Yes the hotel has wifi but it's password protected and I haven't connected to the network since I've been here, so the iPad isn't on wifi.

So since it's passcode protected, the only way somebody would be able to get online is to wipe the iPad, in which case find my iPad won't work, so therefore, no matter what, I'm essentially screwed. Would Apple be able to help so that when the iPad is wiped, they can locate it and get it back to me?

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Sorry about your predicament but Apple will not be able to help you find your lost iPad. They will gladly sell you a replacement and help you restore a backup to a new iPad. :)

6. moonman239 macrumors 68000

True, but they can notify you if the iPad is ever bought in for repair.
    OP, is your iPad registered with Apple? If so, you can report a stolen iPad to Apple.

7. poloponies Suspended

No they won't. How can they verify if a device was stolen?

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Exactly, Apple does not try to keep track of the legitimate owner. They really have no way of doing that. Not everyone registers their equipment, nor do they report to Apple when they buy, sell, borrow or steal an Apple device. That would be an impossible task. :cool:

9. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

Just talked to an employee at the Pentagon City Mall Apple store and indeed I am screwed because with Apple, possession = ownership so whoever stole my iPad will likely wipe it to be able to use it, at which point it becomes theirs and not mine. :(

10. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

Quick question: Is it at all possible for the thief of the iPad (assuming it was stolen) to crack the passcode without wiping the data? I ask because if so, I need to begin changing passwords for all the accounts accessible by the iPad via apps as well as the accounts whose login information was saved in my notes.

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

what version of iOS and what ipad

12. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

The new retina iPad, with the latest version of iOS as of June. Idk if a new version was released after that. It was purchased at the end of May if that helps (graduation gift).

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It is remotely possible but not likely. The person who has your iPad is interested in keeping it for themselves or selling it -- not stealing your info. In this situation I'd change my passwords but wouldn't be overly stressed out about that aspect of it.

This sucks and I'm sorry you lost it.

By the way, unless your contact information is affixed on the outside of your iPad then there is no way for even an honest person to return it to you if its password protected.

14. poloponies Suspended

Do you know if it was purchased with a card that covers loss within 90 days of purchase? A lot of cards do.

15. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

You realize that that question partially depends on your passcode, don't you? I use letters and numbers, including a word no one would easily guess. If your passcode is "cat123," for example, it would be a bit more possible someone could guess it.

16. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

Losing it due to incompetence did not occur here, nor does it make a difference in the course of this thread. Considering I'm at a conference rooming in a hotel with a complete stranger from across the country (literally), theft is a rather reasonable assumption at this point.

Anyways, my pass code was a simple 4-digit numerical password. My question is whether or not it is possible to crack aside from manually trying every possible combination or if a wipe of the device is the only way to make it usable (again, aside from trying every possible combination).

17. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Got to ask the obvious: have you examined your roommate's luggage, or searched around the hotel room (i.e. - under mattress, etc.).

From your description of events, it appears to have gone missing in your hotel room, which only you and the stranger have access to.

18. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

What is bothersome is how this happened. Need to get to the bottom of this. Some credit card companies will replace if lost, if purchased with their card.

19. AndreAudi macrumors newbie

That was gonna be my first question ...anyway that sucks bro I feel sorry for ya. Sucks when something is stolen from ya but when it's a grad gift that's even worse :(

20. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

It really is bothersome how this happened. Yes I've searched the room, however it is highly possible that the roommate could have stolen the iPad and have someone else from his market holding it in their room, only to give it back to him when they arrive back in Cali (I'm from a market in Florida).

At this point I'm past losing the device. What I'm now concerned about is the data on it, such as emails and account information saved in Notes for reference.

21. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    But they will forever have bad karma. What goes around, comes around, as they say.

22. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

^^^

yep! they wont get away with it in the grand scheme.
    Sorry O.P.

its a shame we cant have a theft program, because you know people would abuse just like with phones.

23. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

The lock screen wallpaper of both my iPad and iPod have my contact information on it. I just opened the wallpaper in an image editing program and added a text box. I recommend this for everyone.