Lost iPhone 3G- advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hetz8500, May 28, 2009.

1. hetz8500 macrumors newbie

I lost my iPhone 3G at a theme park last week while riding a roller coaster. I was quick to find a Blackberry Curve on craigslist as a "replacement" but it's almost painful to use after having the iPhone for almost 2 years. Would I be wise to get a new 3G only to turnaround and get the next gen iPhone when it is released this summer? I could then unlock and sell the 3G. Can I even buy a new 3G without extending my contract (at full price)?

Also, if I stick it out with the Curve and get a next gen iPhone when it is released (presumably preloaded with 3.0) will I have any issues restoring from my backups with the 2.x software? Would this even be possible?

Any suggestions welcome.

2. kyleaa macrumors regular

I am right there with you, my iPhone 3g met an unfortunate downfall and I am now on a cheap Motorola flip. If you wanted to replace your 3g, you would need to pay full price for it (I believe $599) - I am not sure if it would extend your contract. Technically no 3g adopters will be eligible for an upgrade when the new phone comes out. Last year AT&T chose to allow original iPhone owners to upgrade to the 3g at new contract pricing, so I am hoping they do the same thing again this year. I would recommend holding off at least a week and a half until after the WWDC keynote.