Lost iPhone 4... some questions, thanks for any help.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by juicyness, Aug 28, 2011.

1. juicyness macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 was stolen last night at the bar. When I got home I remotely locked it and sent the phone a message telling the person to return my phone because I could trace them.

I got an e-mail saying that the message was sent, but I was all freaked out and for some reason thought that it said the message had been received. I then decided I wanted to wipe my phone because I had tons of private information on there. The status was 'pending remote wipe' (The phone was turned off and I assume never turned back on), and I was reading about the remote wipe (obviously I should have done this first), and I found out that if I did it, I wouldn't be able to trace my phone anymore.

I clicked "remove" next to the 'Pending Remote Wipe' thinking that it meant CANCEL the remote wipe and not remove the device from my MobileMe. So now I have no devices listed on my MobileMe account.

I'm wondering:

Did the wipe happen? I'm assuming no, but I'd like clarification..

If the wipe didn't happen, is the lock still on my phone? And will the message still pop up to whomever has my phone (if & when they turn it on)?

I read somewhere that the device will automatically be added to my MobileMe account the next time the device goes online as long as my mobile.me account is still configured in the device. Will that really be automatic?

^ If that is true, will the fact that I changed my iTunes/MobileMe password interfere with that process?

Thanks a lot... :(

2. sanford macrumors 65816

Hey. Lucky us. My 4 just got stolen, too.

I remote locked it and sent a message. Didn't get a response. Then I stopped being able to track it (battery died, they yanked the SIM card, broke the phone, or turned it off.) So I knew I'd never get it back.

Anyway, Find My iPhone can (apparently) get to your phone, and even locate it if the hotspot is in the database and it probably is, over WiFi. I know it can find my WiFi-only iPad and it can find an old iPhone w/ WiFi with deactivated SIM card, because I've seen it do that.

Remote wipes are permanent orders. If the phone gets back on a network where Apple can find it, the wipe will execute.

And, yes, once initiated the remote code lock is permanent unless you physically get the phone back, unlock it with the right code, and turn the code lock off. In your case, the point is moot: it would wipe first, anyway.

You'll get an email if the wipe ever executes. Most likely the jerk will call 911 a thousand times with the locked phone then smash it when the battery dies.

3. juicyness, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

juicyness thread starter macrumors newbie

At the end you said that the guy would most likely call 911 with the locked phone, but earlier in the post you said that the lock would be wiped when the phone wiped (or did I misunderstand that)?

So basically... if you wipe it, you are safe from someone stealing your information, but they can then use your phone? (Because there is no more lock?)

I am really just totally torn up about this. I've never had anything stolen from me before. I am sorry about your iPhone4 as well. :(

4. sanford macrumors 65816

FCC requires phones that can still hit a cell tower, even deactivated ones, be able to make 911 calls. Safety feature for people who have their cell service cut for nonpayment or whatever. Some carriers allow them to call the 3-digit number for that carrier's customer service -- in the States, typically 611.

If you wipe it, it is factory reset. All your info is gone from the phone. Your last iTunes backup (usually at last sync) is all that remains. To use it for other than 911 calls, you would have to have it reactivated by your carrier at your demand, or via your iTunes account on your computer.

A stolen iPhone CAN be reactivated by the thief, or someone who finds it or buys it from aforementioned thief. But not to your phone number or carrier account. Once the phone is reported stolen, your carrier will ban its IMEI number. It can't be activated on that or any other carrier's network with an IMEI reported stolen.

The phone does lose the lock code with the wipe, but it doesn't matter: your info is gone and they can't reactive the phone to your number/account.

These days, theft of a personal cell phone -- rather than, like, stealing a whole truck full of them or something -- is done mostly out of malice. Once they're reported stolen, in the area of communications, they're essentially just fancy little pieces of glass and plastic.

5. juicyness thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for all your information.

Thieves suck... :(