Lost iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vlug, Jan 29, 2011.

1. vlug macrumors 6502

Okay I'm not looking for sympathy or to tell you a story im looking for advice really but to put it quickly I lost my phone on a drinking session :(

In hindsight im kicking myself because I'm so stupid, not for loosing it when pissed up, because I had a great day/night, But for not using a Passlock or protecting myself with remote wipe or tracking apps I know about.

I've had to cancel or change my accounts on Facebook/Twitter/Hotmail/eBay/Paypal/Bank/Sky TV Account and my personal and work Microsoft Exchange accounts were sync'd its such a dangerous thing to lose and im normally so security concious.

I will learn from my mistake in future thats for sure. I have got the IMEI code blocked and im hoping whoever finds it hands it in or contacts me but in this world thats just dreaming.

So should I get another iPhone 4 or wait until June/July to see if they update it or is there anything else worth looking at??

I know the majority will say wait if you can or suggest the iPhone 4 over anything else as this is an Apple community but some might not be 100% apple fan boy and blind to other products being better.

Any suggestions?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Here is one suggestion I will make: next time enable find my iPhone. Many people still don't know that it is free and do not use it. Regarding the phone... I have nothing to say which will help locate it.

3. utl768 macrumors 6502

call apple i think they can remotedly wipe it

4. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

If you bought it n a credit card, they sometimes offer a lost or stolen option. ,ayne you can use that buy the iphone outright.

5. vlug thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have any hope in getting it back and unfortunately it wasn't insured.

I knew about Find My iPhone and didn't enable it. My own fault.

Im just looking at what options there are out there for replacement phones, anyone recommend anything different to an iPhone?

I think I might use a crappy old nokia until June/July and see what Apple do, but living without all the perks a smartphone device offers for that many months may prove to be too hard.

6. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I would say just get a crappy GO Phone till June/July. No new contract required and cheap pay as you go voice and data.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Are you going to be even eligible to buy new iphone 5 at this summer at 199/299 dollars price point?

Assuming you are willing to pay more, then I suggest you wait for June/July.

However, if you are not eligible, I might even say look at craiglist or ebay to just buy iphone 4. Because I doubt AT&T will allow customers buy iphone at 399/499 dollars in next iphone 5.

Carriers are becoming more more strict about upgrading the phone every year.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I think Jack Daniel's is coming out with a phone soon ... BTW, sorry for your loss dude

9. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Silly question, but how do I enable "find my phone" is that within the general settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

You could probably find an iPhone 3Gs for relatively cheap on ebay or CL ...especially ones that aren't in pristine condition which you wouldn't need since it's a placeholder. Maybe you could even sell it 2 weeks before the big iphone 5 reveal to recoup some of the cost.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Google is your friend.

12. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Thank you, I love google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

@OP, if you can stand going for half a year with a dumb phone I'd just get a cheap or nearly-free dumb phone and wait for the iPhone 5.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

Google Find my iPhone in Safari on your iPhone. Click the link that takes you to me.com/find or just enter it. Follow the on-screen directions.
    Here is a nice link.

15. vlug thread starter macrumors 6502

The USA isn't the whole world dude. I am in the UK and my phone was out of contract and unlocked for any network.

I am due a contract upgrade anyway, but I dont want to get tied into a 18/24 month contract now 5 months potentially before a new iPhone is released.

Think im just gonna purchase a new handset outright and then sell it in June if Apple bring out a significant upgrade.

1 week without my iPhone and I am so missing it. Its transfer deadline day today in the English Premier League and without twitter on my iPhone handy for the latest updates and everything else that comes along with having a smartphone I am tottaly lost this last week. Its like loosing a limb.