Lost iPhone 4S, how to find

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by buggsy2, Aug 24, 2012.

1. buggsy2, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

buggsy2 macrumors member

buggsy2

A guy at work lost his iPhone 4S and had installed no apps before to track it. He thinks it is lost, not stolen. Any way to find it now? The only thing I can think of is asking the cell phone provider to give a location estimate from its signal but I have no idea if they'd be willing to do that.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Find My iPhone by going to iCloud.com (assuming he actually set that up during his iPhone 4S' setup).

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

When he set the phone up, if he had "find my iphone" on, he can log into the cloud and get a GPS location. If not, he is out of luck....

FSMBP beat me to it :)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They dont do that.
    Why not call it and try to find where its ringing at? If its still at work and nobody took it he should be able to locate it.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

^^^ just keep calling it ... found my phone many times this way

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

personally, if I stole a phone, the first thing I would do is put it on silent or turn it off until I got home.

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If calling it does not help then at least ensure you contact the network to protect the account and blacklist the handset.

8. buggsy2 thread starter macrumors member

buggsy2

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. The nimrod says he didn't set up any iCloud connection! And, he called it last night and it rang, but he couldn't hear it, now he calls and it goes straight to voice mail so I think it's lost charge and this guy has lost it for good unless some good Samaritan finds it, charges it, and somehow figures out who it belongs to.

Or, he can wait till it shows up on eBay LOL.

9. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Your bro is SOL then. Blacklist-ing the ENS would prevet any further activation on a few account. Although the carrier won't take action or report back whomever trys to activate that bad ENS.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Talking about blacklisted iphones.
    My friend bought a 4S on CL last week. It was an AT&T iphone and he used his AT&T sim inside for about a week.
    Then all of a sudden he gets no service and his AT&T account is suspended. Guess he bought a lost or stolen iphone and not only did they disable the iphone but also his sim card. He tried putting it inside an old phone and was still deactivated:D
    lol :D I was laughing at him but he was pissed:D
    Next time be more carefull I guess.