Lost iPhone - can I recover photos ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by flopshot1, May 31, 2016.

1. flopshot1 macrumors newbie

Hello all.... I had the misfortune of having my iPhone stolen on vacation, and along with it, hundreds of priceless photos and videos. I have my Apple watch set to store the last 100 pics, they're all there (minus the videos)....
    Does anyone know if I pair the Apple watch to my new "empty" phone, will it give me the option of recovering my vacation photos that are currently stored on the watch? Is there any way of recovering those photos?
    Many thanks

2. Melina Stutz macrumors member

Melina Stutz

Don't you use iCloud???

3. flopshot1 thread starter macrumors newbie

wish I had upgraded, iCloud is currently full

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, the only way is to pair the :apple:Watch to the new iPhone (complete wipe) and then restore from backup. How is it possible to have "...hundreds of priceless photos and videos..." or even hundreds of WORTHLESS photos and videos without a backup? You should even have a backup of your backup.

5. Melina Stutz macrumors member

Melina Stutz

[​IMG] under the settings app > iCloud >photos ! Did you have the first toggle turned on???

6. Phoenixx, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016

Phoenixx Suspended

Phoenixx

You might have considerable problems here as Apple (in all their stupidity), don't seem to have allowed for this situation at all. Unless I've missed something, the only way to unpair an Apple watch from the iPhone it is paired too, is from the phone itself.

Apple have also made it so you can report a stolen watch from your phone, but not report a stolen phone from your watch, another major oversight as phones are far more prone to getting stolen than the other way around.

Of course, if Apple had tethered the watch to the phone with an alarm in case they got separated (yet another major oversight), the thieves would never have got away with stealing your phone in the first place.

On the good side, you should be able to use the Find iPhone feature of iCloud to help authorities locate exactly where the phone is (if you have that feature activated on your phone).

7. flopshot1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Even if I had enough space in my iCloud, it was an international vacation with very little WiFi access and international data roaming would have cost a small fortune to upload all those pics and vids... oh well hindsight's 20/20