lost iphone email secure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chris200x9, Apr 24, 2009.

1. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

I lost my iphone, I cancelled it can whoever finds it read my email? Do I need to change my password, I did cancel it with at&t

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

If you PIN protected your phone then that's a good level if security. If you didn't, well, someone is having a good read!

4. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought all it can do is call 911 if it's not activated, nothin I mean NOTHING else

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Your iPhone was already activated when you lost it. Reporting it as stolen to AT&T doesn't send out some signal that deactivates it. If you did not have a pin code set to unlock your iPhone then any emails already downloaded to it will be readable. Absolutely change the password on your email account to prevent someone else from reading any additional emails or sending emails from your account.

6. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so I guess apple's *kill switch* is only for their convinience :rolleyes: I hate apple more and more everyday.

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

That "kill switch" you're probably referring to is their ability to blacklist an app and essentially disable it on all iPhones and iPod Touches that have it. They said they would only reserve that for apps that have some sort of hidden malicious intent. AFAIK, they have not utilized this capability yet.

So you hate Apple more and more everyday because YOU lost YOUR iPhone and now your email may have been compromised? :rolleyes:

8. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no I hate apple because, they do not listen to their customers ie. copy and past still months away and same for mms, inferior products core duo macbooks when the rest of the industry had core 2 duo notebooks no caps lock on iphone no sms forwarding either. Poor marketing (hey let's just make fun of windows) second rate OS. Steve jobs (need I say more). Closed source, etc.

9. siufai macrumors member

There is a CAPS lock on the iPhone.

10. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

delete this :)

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

No, the only remotely-accessible "kill switch" is the Core Location blacklist. If an app is added to that it will be barred from the CL API, but not disabled.

The only way Apple can disable an App Store app is by mass deauthing everyone who bought/downloaded it; their iPhones would then remove it upon the next sync. There is no other known way for them to remove an app remotely.

12. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

The OP is probably talking about remote wipe and not kill switch

13. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Ah yes, I stand corrected. I forgot about the core location part of it.

14. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Remote Wipe

I believe what he may have been referring to was the ability for Business Enterprise users to remotely wipe lost company phones if they are lost. I don't know much about it. I just remember that being advertised when they started pursuing the business market.

15. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I'm not sure if you change your e-mail password if it'll just delete your e-mail account and make it so no one can read your messages... They're all downloaded right on the phone I think, but I don't know *shrugs* Anyone try it?

16. TheBearman macrumors 6502

My phone will clear everything if the password is entered incorrectly 10 times in a row. Not sure if this is something that is simply part of the corporate security policy I had to install to access our VPN. The policy also enforces an 8 char strong password which must be changed every 90 days.

Yea, I know it sounds like a pain, but I quickly learned how to create a password which isn't that hard to enter. I kind of like the added security and if it is ever lost or stolen I feel the data is fairly safe. Recovery is just a restore away.

OP, I agree with everyone else, change your password. Also... if you received and saved any emails on your phone which might contain passwords for other sites/services, change those.

17. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Why? It's true and it responds to misinformation raised in this thread.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Changing your email password will only prevent more emails from being downloaded to the iPhone. The emails that are already downloaded on the iPhone will remain there. I think the best thing you can do is DO NOT CHANGE THE PASSWORD at first and delete all the emails on your IMAP account. Then, the next time someone tried opening Mail, all of your emails would get removed from the device because it would be syncing with the email server. Then change the password so that more emails cannot be downloaded.

19. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no I quoted it and was gonna make a smartass response but I realized I was just mad so the delete this refers to my post.

edit: I changed it, it's all good sorry I was kind of a dick

20. ethical macrumors 68000

good idea, but you dont know how long it will be before they open the mail app and it syncs. also, they will be obtaining all email between that period. if you make a rule on Mail.app to send all your mail instantly to a mailbox stored on you mac, then none of that mail will get sent to the iphone (or at least it doesnt on mine). e.g. I have a rule that sends all macrumours emails (thread replies etc) to a certain folder, i dont get any of those emails on my phone because they are all put into the folder on my mac. it's only when the mac is turned off and so it cant put the emails in that folder that i get them on my phone. this could be a way to ensure no more emails are downloaded to the phone in the meantime if you want to follow the advice above (which is a good idea)

alternatively, just change your password and hope there wasnt anything confidential etc on there.

also, where is caps lock on the iphone?? - EDIT - nevermind, holding down shift does it... just like on a computer :p i even amaze myself sometimes :p

21. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Settings>General>Keyboard>Enable Caps-lock. Then double tap the shift key and you'll type in caps until the next time you tap it again.