Lost iPhone -- Is My Data Safe?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BoredOp, Jul 22, 2010.

1. BoredOp macrumors newbie

Hi all

I recently lost my iPhone. It was a first generation that I had managed to hold onto and keep working for years. I left it in the back of a cab and despite all my effort to relocate it, it appears it's gone for good.

I had AT&T deactivate it 20 mins after I lost it. I also had the passcode feature active. AT&T has assured me that the combination of the two will pretty much render the phone a paper weight unless whoever found the phone restores it. I've never had to restore the phone, so one question I have is could whoever has my phone gain access to my data after restoring it? Like will iTunes back up the data for them and then allow them to download it again to the phone?

Is my data safe? I work for a media organization and I had some very sensitive and valuable data on that phone. The kind of data I could lose my job over if a third party were to somehow access it. Not to mention the countless phone numbers and the huge log of text messages that contained sensitive personal information. Also, please spare me the ridicule of asking why I had so much important information on the phone. I've spent the last week beating myself up over it, and needless to say have learned my lesson. Trust me when I say I"ve punished myself enough over this.

After an initial search, it appears there are illicit ways to hack the phone and get around the passcode, however my understanding of the subject is limited, and my question boils down to: can someone access the data on my phone?

I"m merely looking for peace of mind here. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The answer boils down to: yes.

4. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

iTunes will not unlock it for them, it will erase it to restore it. Your datas safe. Ways of getting around the security lock are not that easy to do, and why would someone go to the trouble unless they knew what you had on there, and how to use it?
    I wouldn't worry.

5. BoredOp thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, no Mobile Me, already explored that option :(

Well that's unfortunate. Which data can they get to? If they restored it in a bid to sell it, would restoring it wipe the text messages/contacts/notepad?

6. BoredOp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, this makes me feel a bit better. I hoped that if it was possible, it would be labor intensive enough that they just wouldn't bother.

7. BoredOp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses so far. Does anyone else want to confirm or deny anything posted so far?

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Did the first gen have the option to erase all data if the wrong passcode is entered more than 10 times? If so, was this option set?

The iPhone4 has this option but it's not turned on by default when you activate a passcode. Frankly, the passcode by itself isn't much of a deterrent since all the thief needs to be is persistent and enter up to 1,000 passcodes if they really want your data. So, I'm not sure why someone would say "Ways of getting around the security lock are not that easy to do...".

9. teebag macrumors newbie

Shouldn't that be 10,000 passcodes ? ie, 0000 to 9999

10. DaveAmbler macrumors member

DaveAmbler

I should think the thief couldn't give two tosses about what info you had on the phone - I'd imagine it'd have been erased and restored to factory settings pretty soon after it was stolen :) You're safe!

11. isooz macrumors member

So if the phone is plugged in and restored does it lose the passlock, jailbreak and unlock? ie does it then render it useable? Am in a similar position - I reported mine stolen and gave IMEI number. Was assured the phone would be useless to anyone else. Not bothered about data as mine is of no use to anyone alse but I dont want my phone to be used by anyone else :mad:

And of course I would like it back :(

12. DaveAmbler macrumors member

DaveAmbler

I *think* the phone will only be disabled for use with your carrier... they may well be able to jailbreak it and unlock it for use on any other carrier.

13. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Duh, yep, you're right. :)