Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kcam213

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
my husband has lost his iphone and we are not sure it can/will be found.

He is totally disgusted and is threatening to just tell AT&T to get bent and just cancel his service.

But! I have an iphone on his contract. So, I will lose my iphone as well right?

Okay,
I have just ordered a firefly phone for my daughter that I was already planning to add on to AT&T for the extra $10 per month.

So, can I order another Iphone for the introductory rate of $199 and activate it, then when my daughter's firefly phone comes in the mail, report the first phone lost, then cancel the 3g and data plan on 1st phone number. Then activate the firefly phone to the first phone number.

Will my cost of the first phone number then drop down to the extra $10 per month?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
He can cancel his phone line and be liable for the ETF and you'll be able to retain your phone number. You need to be sure that when (of if) he cancels his contract you want yours to remain on a single plan.

The cheapest option for an iPhone is buying it from ATT/Apple. Craigslist/ebay and such charge a lot more typically then what ATT/Apple does. They may charge you more then the 199 but less then what you'll pay third party.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
so your Hubby is pissed at AT&T

because he lost his Iphone! :eek: seen allot of reasons people get mad at them but that one is just silly! wonder what would happen if you just went to AT&T and talked to a salesperson! even at full price Firefly phones are pretty cheap. I am thinking they work with you on this one! plus it's better to teach your daughter some skills working with company's then trying to steel from them!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
because he lost his Iphone! :eek: seen allot of reasons people get mad at them but that one is just silly! wonder what would happen if you just went to AT&T and talked to a salesperson! even at full price Firefly phones are pretty cheap. I am thinking they work with you on this one! plus it's better to teach your daughter some skills working with company's then trying to steel from them!

Figures, people lose their phones and then get mad at the provider:rolleyes:

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
He probably got pissed off at ATT because they're were unwilling to help him or give him a discount on a replacement.

Why should they? Maybe he'll learn a lesson and be more careful in the future.

joebobthehob

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Will my cost of the first phone number then drop down to the extra $10 per month?

If you have the line set up in a family plan, yes. You can also just buy the phone at an AT&T store, and they can add the new line but then transfer the phone to his current line so that he keeps his same number (then the new line would just be $10/month).

He probably got pissed off at ATT because they're were unwilling to help him or give him a discount on a replacement.

Blame Apple. Loon is correct that AT&T has no responsibility to cut you a deal for replacing a lost or stolen phone, but they often do it anyway. iPhone users are screwed though, because AT&T's contract with Apple explicitly forbids any discounts or credits towards the purchase of an iPhone.

You'd have to escalate quite a ways up the chain before you'd get someone who might possibly have the authority to override that and give credits (probably the regional VP level). Good luck even getting to talk to someone that high, and if you do, even more luck convincing them to actually do it.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Question is, if they do give you a discount because you lost the phone, how do you provide proof that you actually lost the phone? Unless AT&T and Apple want to start creating protocol to shut off phones that are reported lost, giving discount to anyone claiming to have lost the phone will simply result in a flooded eBay iphone market.

So don't blame AT&T and Apple for not assisting you to replace your lost phone, blame everyone else who ever tried to profit from reselling the iPhone.

Kcam213

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
If you have the line set up in a family plan, yes. You can also just buy the phone at an AT&T store, and they can add the new line but then transfer the phone to his current line so that he keeps his same number (then the new line would just be $10/month).

it.

thank you for answering my question. I forgot about transfering phones between numbers. That would work. Actually we got up at the crack of dawn and went out and found his phone where he dropped last night while trying to answer the phone and drive a motorcycle. (big dummy!). Anyway the screen is shattered so we are heading to the apple store for a consultation. We bought the extended plan but I don't think it covers for accidents. But the sales guy said the benefit would be that apple would not even consider fixing them without a plan. Hope the repairs won't be more than getting new phone.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Yeah congrats

and now your daughter can rest at ease that she gets her Firefly phone! :D your hubby is lucky there are cheaper places to get screens replaced but you will need to send the phone in. I would invest in a bluetooth setup for your husband too they have ones specially designed for motorcyclist.

Kcam213

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Thanks everyone. The phone screen was fixed for $99
and firefly phone is on it's way from hong kong. (should've check location of seller. It will take about 30 days)

chris.saunders

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011
Agree to Disagree

Its funny reading these forums about people getting mad at AT&T and Apple. I to have had a phone mysteriously grow legs recently. The AT&T person told me the phone had been registered under someone else already. They also said that they could get me a new phone for $600. I think all of you are missing the point here. It's not the $600 that makes me mad. It’s the point that both Apple and AT&T can see when someone registers a stolen phone. All of you can say that is not there problem and people should be more careful. Out entire society is built of prevention. Why are stolen cars not a huge issue, because we make it hard to register a stolen car. Why do I have to request Sudafed from the pharmacist now, because we made it harder to build drugs in a bathtub. Why do I have to provide a social security card to work, because we made it harder for people to enter our society illegally.

If Apple and AT&T (and any other carrier for that matter) have the ability to flag a stolen phone in there system but they refuse to do so then that is wrong. If you have a different opinion to that I would ask you to imagine driving a shiny new car off the lot, having it stolen the night of purchase, and then finding out that someone registered that car without any consequence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.