Lost iPhone. What to do??? Rogers, Apple won't help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aaquib, Mar 18, 2009.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

My brother just lost his iPhone(3G, 16GB). He said it must've been when he was at the mall last night, but didn't notice until this morning. He called Rogers (Canada's carrier) and they told him that the data was being used at 7:30 this morning. He hasn't received any email since last night on his Gmail online, meaning it wasn't Gmail just fetching mail. Rogers couldn't really do anything but quote him $349 for an 8GB iPhone and require him to extend his contract another 3 years. He's pretty stubborn and won't get anything but an iPhone, so he wants to know if there are any other options he can consider before extending his contract and paying $350 for a new one.

My guess is that whoever has it will remove the SIM card, get it unlocked, and use another sim card. I sent a text message from my iPhone and we've called many times, with no luck. It really sucks that Rogers will do absolutely nothing but temporary hold his account. The iPhone has a GPS and 3G was on this morning. They said Apple sets the iPhone prices and can't lower it below $350 for an 8GB, which doesn't really make sense, because for a new customer it's $199 for an 8GB, and the iPhone 3G is subsidized isn't it?? Plus, he has to extend his contract another 3 years!

Is there ANYTHING we can do now??? We went to an Apple Store, but they told us it was pretty much only up to Rogers. My brother wants to switch to Fido(the other iPhone carrier in Canada), but Rogers will charge the $400 ETF. On Craigslist, they're all going for $500-$600. :mad:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Demand to speak with a supervisor and have them either deactivate the phone or track it. If that doesn't work go to the local police or RCMP, as they can track it as well. If that doesn't work, I'd start complaining to any local TV station that will listen, they can often pressure companies to doing things they don't want to do. Beyond that, I would just start climbing up the walls of the Canadian Justice System, or just buy a new phone.

TEG

3. amorya macrumors 6502

Step 1: make sure that Rogers puts the IMEI of the phone on the list of stolen phones. I know in the UK there's one list shared between all the networks, so if someone reports a phone stolen it can't be used at all in the UK. Hopefully it's the same in Canada.

Step 2: try your household insurance. Mine covers my personal possessions up to £1000, including things like losing a phone. Maybe yours does too?

4. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

They said they deactivated it, but I was thinking whoever stole it could simply use Quickpwn to get around the activation. We're considering going to the police, but how exactly would they be able to track it if Apple nor Rogers can't? I always thought it would be dead simple for Rogers to track the phone because of the 3G and GPS, but the lady on the phone simply told me they do not "have sufficient capability to track it".

5. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Hey, an iPhone alone costs 500 bucks unsubsidized. Don't sign that ridiculous contract with Robbers anymore and just buy one from eBay or Craiglists.

Or, you can ask Robbers if you can get one unsubsidized.

6. globalwidget macrumors newbie

7. Setarem macrumors newbie

Lost iPhone - I may be able to help

e-mail me at setarem@rogers.com

there is no contact info so if anyone know him/her let him/her know that I might be able to help to replace the lost iPhone at no or very low cost.

8. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

That is awesome.

9. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

^^^ That's pretty cool. I always keep my iphone in my pocket.

10. nygmatron macrumors newbie

That new function would be so useful right now. I think I just lost my Iphone ;( The saddest part is I was sure as hell I had left it at home.... Either i lost it at the gas station, or at my friends house. Can't wait for tomorror morning to go back and tear the place appart ;) DOn't want to get the colon exam from fido. 350 for 8gb+ 3 years. That would be incredible, a 5year contract...

Please god tell me my beloved Iphone is at my friends house :D

11. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Sorry for the loss. No way I would sign another contract for 3 years. Man, that ETF is way too high. If the iphone is his bread and butter I guess his cheapest option would be carigslist or ebay. Personally I would ditch the iphone altogether, thats a lot to be spending on a phone. The $350 price does make sense because you are not a new customer.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Get yourself a pageboy haircut and go after them with a captive bolt pistol.