Lost iPhone, What to do

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SeaWind12, Jan 3, 2009.

1. SeaWind12 macrumors newbie

I lost my iphone in a club. I was dancing in the middle of the stage as my iphone sliped out of my pocket and some Chinese guy snatched it of the floor and disappeared. Luckily I set my iphone to password auto lock in 15 minutes so all he can see now is a locked screen with a password. I send him an SMS that should pop up on the lock screen saying that I'll give him 50 euro reward and gave him my email.
    So what do i do, what are my options? I've got my Netter's Anatomy on it, I'm studying medicine and my second college term starts on Monday. The only thing I'm thinking is to get an iPhone 3G - at least I will get a better phone. Mine was iPhone first generation. My dad will be very disappointed to find out that it got robbed - i promised to give it to him. Is there any way to find my iphone via location based services that iphone has?
    By the way he switched my iphone off.

2. moneymaster macrumors newbie

He can restore the iPhone to take off the passcode lock.

3. akbc macrumors 6502

You can call your carrier to register your IMEI and they may be able to track it down. It really depends. They should already have IMEI in their database if you got the iPhone directly from your carrier.

Sorry to hear about your loss, good luck :)

4. Xtgirl macrumors regular

AT+T won't do much for you..just disable the sim card...they won't track it for you...I lost mine and really had no choice but to buy a new one.

The thief can just take it to a computer and restore and activate it as a new phone....it totally sucks...

You can keep trying to text the guy but he obviously was a thief so I doubt he will give it back even for a reward.

Sorry:(

5. SeaWind12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I deactivated my sim card. Getting an iPhone 3G tomorrow. It's like -480 euro to my bank balance and 150 euro to get through this month. Now I'm getting zip closing pockets trousers, or will look up some iphone accessories to keep iphone fastened to the body.

6. tsvb macrumors 6502

Ugh I would hate to see this happen. Makes me glad I don't dance at clubs! Ha.

Good luck though.

7. royaltannenbomb macrumors newbie

I actually had mine stolen about a month ago and yesterday AT&T called me and said some lady found it in a parking lot and brought it in. So maybe you will get lucky like I did.

8. M0bile macrumors regular

I just recently lost my iPhone. The only thing that AT&T could do for me was disable my SIM card and they flagged my IMEI number so that if anyone tried to bring my iPhone to AT&T or Apple they could confiscate it as stolen. Hoping for the best, but I also dropped $500 for a new one. :(

9. samuraivara macrumors newbie

There is an app called private-I which might help to track down a stolen iphone. It depends on how dumb or greedy the robber is..:D
    Available from itunes store.

10. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I'm sorry to hear that. I hate it when people take stuff that doesn't belong to them, hopefully you can catch him and get your phone back.

11. SeaWind12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright guys, I found the application that tracks iphone, it does exactly that. iLocalis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNKv3WWapzg

12. headspawn macrumors newbie

iphone 4 lost

I just lost my iphone 4 last night at a club as well at the music box in LA. i have Mobile me which is a software that tracks ur phone on google map but it wont work unless it's on. and the person who took it has it off so it wont pop up on my map
    im soooo bummed

13. patel1029 macrumors newbie

I would be SOOOOO mad if someone stole my iPhone! If he was smart enough to turn it off, he was smart enough to restore it.

14. jrfive0 macrumors member