Lost iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iZeeshan, Sep 21, 2011.

1. iZeeshan macrumors regular

So today, before an exam, I think I left my phone on a bench. Soon after the test, I called the phone and it was ringing but no one picked. A couple of hours later, my phone went straight to voicemail.

I had iOS 5 beta installed and I can't remember if I had Findmyiphone enabled or not but I did have iCloud enabled.

Is there anything I can do to find it/get it back or get something!?

I know things look pretty bleak but I'm hoping for something. Let me know! Thanks!

2. Catdogchicken macrumors regular

You could always try this to see if find my iPhone was installed. Also tell your carrier immediately so the phone can get blocked if not.

3. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

I feel like I should have done this when I heard it ringing. It's been about 6 hours now.

This website just told me that my phone is offline...but it did detect it with my e-mail with my ID and everything. I requested the lock on it but it said that its offline i.e. it's turned off right now like I said.

Can I tell if its been reset yet? Is there any hope of finding this phone again?

Can they reset it NOW that I've put a lock on it or do I know if it's already been done? Please let me know anything that's possible. I live on a college campus. Thanks!

4. Catdogchicken macrumors regular

It depends on how savvy the theif is. If they've logged you out of iTunes and logged into theirs, your screwed. It's a shame find my phone doesn't 'wake up' your iPhone instead of waiting for the person to wake it.

Did you use a passcode on your iPhone at all?

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

When it is activated it will be found and send you mail that it was located. If you go to the me.com website that will show you where it was when it was turned back on.

Send a message to the device using me.com. Tell them you tracked the phone by gps. Thank them for finding it and give them a number and a reward for returning it.

Good luck

-t

6. ckc macrumors regular

It will only send you the advice that it has been located if the finder does not remove the loser's sim card prior to turning it on. Once the sim is removed Find my Phone is no longer of any use.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

If they activate the phone with a replacement SIM with any data plan, or connect it to a wifi access point it will still be found.

Find my phone does not work with your phone number, it uses your device id. That does not change when you change SIM cards.

There is a way to make sure it does not report it's location, however I will not post that here.

-t

8. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

Everything you said is correct, but I thought it tracks it by the acct info not the UDID. Did something change in iOS5?

9. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

I can't exactly remember if I even turned that feature on though!

Would this service be working at all if the FindMyiPhone thing wasn't enabled? because I can see that it is offline.

So now, I should just wait till he turns it on/activates it again? Should I call AT&T and do anything?

Would it matter if he's reset the phone? Is there any way to find out what's going on or anything? Sorry lol, I'm pulling hairs here

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

AT&T will not do anything except kill your SIM to prevent them from using your services. They will NOT block the phone or help you in any other way.

You got to understand that this happens thousands of times a day all over the USA.

You will be mad for a while but you then need move on and get a replacement or wait for the iP5.:(

It is highly doubtful that it would be returned after this much time, very few would return it anyway!

11. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I guess it's gone forever.

But I mean...they do have to turn it on again at some point don't they? Or would it be too late already and this Findmyiphone service would be rendered moot.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They can just restore it and everything on it will be gone and it will accept any other AT&T sim.

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I believe it's too late :(

14. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

Now I need some advice...

What should I do in the meanwhile? I don't want to spend more than $30-40 bucks for a replacement so anyone have any ideas about what I can grab for that price?

I guess I'll need something until February '12 because that's when ATT says I can upgrade again.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You should be able to find a Go Phone or something in that price range that would keep you in a phone till next month. Maybe even find a iP3 for a little more. Remember you can sell it when you get your iP5 to recover some of your funds.

16. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

iP3's are around $150 on ebay. Would it be worth it to make that investment?

I might just wait till October 4th to make a decision and live without a phone until then...