lost iphoto and images!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by asilnworb, May 11, 2012.

1. asilnworb, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012

asilnworb macrumors newbie

Hi..

I recently transferred iphoto along with all the images in it, from my macbook, to a 1TB Seagate external hard drive as it contained 28000 images and my macbook was down to the last 14GB.

Everything was fine for about a month, I could plug in the external hard drive and access iphoto and see all the images fine, and I could plug in my camera and download the images direct to iphoto in the hard drive.

But a couple of weeks ago something happened, I don't know what, and now I can't get into iphoto. I plug in the external hard drive, open up iphoto, it bounces in the dock for a bit and then stops and nothing appears. Then when I hold down the mouse key on iphoto, the iphoto window drops down from the corner, displaying all the correct information- the amount of images, etc, when I hover over it, a blue border appears, and when I go to click on any part of the iphoto display, the window just disappears again.

I am really worried about all my images, I have nearly 30000 images on this hard drive and I have no idea why I can't access them! I don't know if it's the hard drive or the computer which is the problem. If anyone has advice I would be very grateful.. thank you!

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Have you tried double clicking on the iPhoto Library on the external drive in Finder? That should open that library. It is possible that you tried to open iPhoto when your portable was not connected, and your program is now pointing back to the default location.

If your library is corrupted, your pictures are probably still inside the library. However, you might want to try restoring your library from Time Machine or whichever backup solution you use. Before doing so... make a backup copy of your iPhoto library onto another drive somewhere.

/Jim

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The iPhoto application window sometimes may shift to outside the visible area of the screen. This is what it sounds like has happened. To restore the window back to the default position, make sure iPhoto is what is shown in the Application menu between :apple: and File, then click on the Window menu and choose Zoom.

4. asilnworb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your replies flynz4 and JediMeister! JediMeister you were right, I tried what you suggested, all back to normal now. Phewy! :)

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Good news. Now that you have felt the panic... make sure that you have a good backup strategy. ;)

/Jim

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Consider yourself lucky...AND BACK UP THOSE PICTURES! You're scaring us!