Lost It All

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by In Utopia, Jul 9, 2010.

1. In Utopia macrumors regular

On my G4 I noticed the ? momentarily on start up, so I was going to boot from the disc to make a repair.
    The icon for the disc wouldn't come up on the desktop. Put a music CD in, didn't work.
    Was going to try to boot from 9.2 and now all I get is the floppy with the question mark. I've tried to get it to boot from the CD, (no luck) tried all I know to at least get it to boot up somewhere without luck.
    Broke down and bought a new imac, (it was time) and tried to retrieve my files and such from Mozy, but some critical ones are missing.
    Is there anyway to retrieve the data from my old hard drive, say take it out and go to the Apple store later today?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Hard drive is probably fine. Take it out, put it in an external enclosure, plug into your new mac, an it should show up as an external drive.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try Target Disk Mode. Putting it in an external might also work. It's possible that the HD is dead and the data is unrecoverable.

4. In Utopia thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have an external hard drive.

5. In Utopia thread starter macrumors regular

The old HD is not dead.
    Tried firewire between the two, held down the T key on the old one, and it shuts off.
    Can you walk me through some other procedure?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about Target Disk Mode, as Hellhammer suggested? And you can buy enclosures for HDDs (P-ATA or S-ATA, 2.5" or 3.5") quite cheap.

Ah, didn't see your new post.

Btw, you can edit your posts via the [​IMG] button, or multi-quote posts via the [​IMG] button, as sequential posts are "against" the rules.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
    Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, your only option is to take the HD out of the computer and put it in an enclosure. I think you need one with IDE connection

8. In Utopia thread starter macrumors regular

First thing I need to do is get a firewire cable that is compatible with the new imac.
    Only ones I have have 5 sides, kinda like a house, not the new style.
    Think I have a neighbor with an old external drive I can try.

Thanks for the help.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Why do you need a FireWire cable? You need a an enclosure so you can put the drive from the old Mac in it and then connect it to the new iMac via USB

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Target disk mode will not work as you've likely got a logic board problem. The HD needs to be removed from the old iMac an do what I said before (enclosures are cheap to buy). OBTW the 5 side is Firewire 400. You ca get an enclosure that supports either FW 800 or USB 2 for your new iMac.

11. In Utopia thread starter macrumors regular

Just tried the new firewire cable, booted the imac in target mode, got the symbol on the screen, started the old mac, got nothing on the imac, just the blinking ? on the old one.

Time to move on to an external later today or tomorrow.

Tried the right enclosure with the old hard drive, didn't show up on the desktop.
    Tried the old old hard drive, it wouldn't show up either.

What am I missing?

Problem solved, all is good once more.