Lost "iTunes Library.xml" file while copying the iTunes folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JTMeaster, Feb 24, 2015.

1. JTMeaster macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm working on a mbp of a friend and when we copied his iTunes folder to back up his system, somehow the .xml file of his library got lost?

Does anybody have an idea how to get this file back? Or where it is right now ?

This file contained the playlist info and the .itl file doesn't work anymore ...

greetz

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hello,

strange indeed : when you copy the iTunes folder, both the .xml and the .itl files are copied, of course.

Anyway, if the .xml is actually missing (*), and the .itl does not work anymore (did you double-click on it ?), you no longer have a valid iTunes Library.

Do you by chance have a "Previous iTunes Libraries" in the iTunes folder ?
    If yes you can use the .itl files it holds to re-create the Library.

(*) do a Spotlight search with "iTunes Library.xml"

3. JTMeaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Bruno for the quick repsons. I'm waiting for some information and than I'll try that!

I'll let you know!

----------

When I double-click that file, iTunes tells me it's impossible to use this file because it's not a descent export file ..

4. JTMeaster thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked!

I just had to start iTunes with the function-key holding. Than choose the directory where the .itl file is and iTunes does the rest :)

greetz!

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Good news !

Double-clicking on the (right) iTunes Library.itl file should do exactly the same (launch iTunes and make iTunes open the "right" Library).