Lost iTunes music folders / libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gd420mj, Sep 29, 2010.

1. gd420mj macrumors newbie

Please Help!!! I am going crazy!!!
    osx 10.4.11, itunes 9.02

I decided to move my itunes collection, around 32 GB to an external HD. I followed the instructions on apple website. (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449)
    Everything was going smoothly. But about 10 mins. I stopped, because I wanted to rename the new folder I just created. Since it was copying, I figured I'd be ok, and could just re-do it. I tried to change the library location back to the original. some songs in the library had a grey exclamation next to them. Not Found.
    But then, I didn't know what to do next. I went to File>Library>Organize Library> then here is what I did wrong. I selected the bottom option, I think its "organize itunes media" (its grayed out now, and the name changed). I did not select the Consolidate Files. Well it did some things quickly and then many many songs were not found. So I go into users>[me]>music>itunes>itunes music. Well, half my artist names are missing. I tried something else, I don't know what, and now there are about 11 items were there were hundreds. Maybe 200. And some of those 11 items are empty or have one song it a folder.
    Before all this happened, my HD had about 3.44 GB free. Now it says it has 3.08 GB. My music MAYBE wasn't deleted, but its nowhere in the music folder. Nowhere to be found.
    To make matters worse, itunes library is now: users>[me]>music>music. At least, in here there are 157 items. So about 157 different artists folders. But some are missing albums and such. And that 157 in not complete.

Soooo, where is everything. ?????????? ahhhh!!!!!! I've been collecting this music for 4 years. Soo much is irreplaceable. I mean its replaceable, but it would take soooo long. Friends lent CD's over the years, various internet finds. ahhh!!!!

I have stopped writing to the HD. I think. And I copied the entire music folder users>[me]>music to an external HD. just in case.

THe other thing is, the music folder still shows 31.99 GB. I think it may have been bigger. But that includes other stuff that wasn't in itunes library. logic, my own recordings. Before all this happened. the folder could have been bigger. But not by much.

Another thing, when I have itunes open, all the music I HAD, still shows up in the library, just cannot be found. And damned if I can find it anywhere.

I have no time machine and no backups.

Is there anywhere to recover what was lost. ? I am afraid to turn the computer off. Or close itunes. (I did close it once but the library still shows everything I had).

My library, on the bottom of itunes, says 3224 items, 43.52 GB. Some of those items were not there cause they were originally on other discs. Thats ok. But MOST of it was right here on mac HD.

OMG, I soo freaking out!!! I don;t know what to do. This is going to hurt for a long time!!.. Most stuff is on ipod. but just want it back to normal and then move it all to external HD. Damn, it was sooo well organized before this happened.

2. gd420mj thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think 31.99 GB is correct. That is what I have now It had to be more. Probably closer to 40, or maybe even 43.

Looking through what I have. a lot is there. But some stuff is missing, or deleted. What do I do?

I added up all the current folders in users>[me]>music and its 31.99 GB. The itunes music alone is about 19 GB. But it had to be more. I don't know how much though. Still so many albums missing and artist missing.

3. gd420mj thread starter macrumors newbie

New discovery. Of the albums/artists missing, there is a whole bunch of songs at the end of my playlist that are unknown artists and unknown album. These are most songs that I am missing. There are numbered, like where they came from. i.e. 01 or 1-01 (for disc 1 track 1). This is just crazy

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Back up next time, and don't mess around file structure next time.

5. gd420mj thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have time machine. Nor do I have a back up. I;m on 10.4.11. I don't believe I have time machine. If I do. I don't know where it is and have never set it up

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

The files have to either be in the intended destination or still in your music folder. The issue is you have relink all the files.