Lost iWork apps on fresh install.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by CDA, Jul 4, 2014.

1. CDA macrumors newbie

I just purchased a late 2013 Macbook Pro from a friend. When he bought it, it came with the iWork apps such as keynote, etc.

We've done a new install for me to take it over fresh and unfortunately the iWork apps are no longer installed. I checked the app store and it's asking for the full amount to be paid for them.

Is there anything I can do here to get them back for free or are they lost?

Thank you

2. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Did your friend by any chance associated his Apple ID with the machine when it was purchased? I'm not sure but that might be the reason why it's not showing up to be associated with yours as it is a first owner thing I believe. Perhaps someone else can corroborate my suspicions?:confused:

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is it exactly. When you get a new Mac you login to the App Store and 'claim' your iWork and iLife apps with your appleid and that does not transfer to a new owner.

4. mastermind6192 macrumors member

mastermind6192

Missing iWork

What you can do is call AppleCare and have them dissociate the previous owners AppleID from iWork with your Mac. It might not work since they don't have to according to their own site it states "This offer is not valid on the purchase of used, auction, or demonstration equipment, except for Apple-certified refurbished systems purchased directly from the Apple Online Store that do not include Pages, Keynote and Numbers." per https://www.apple.com/creativity-apps/mac/up-to-date/. Its worth a shot, because the worst you can hear is no.