Lost Leopard CD's, can I use others?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanvsrobots, Aug 15, 2009.

1. ryanvsrobots macrumors member

MY leopard CD's are gone, but my gf still has hers, can I use her CD's even though she has a MB and I have a MBP. What about the bootcamp drivers, will those work for my 9600gt as well?

Thanks.

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

No and Not advisable. The CDs are model specific - you will get an error message if you try to use another model's CDs.

Bootcamp drivers - you may get lucky but it is possible depending on the timeline the MB CD will not have latest BootCamp drivers required for your MBP.

Apple lets you order the DVDs for some reasonable fee - never done that but try calling AppleCare to find out.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You can use a standard Leopard retail disc. Most recent will boot all. Original won't boot Nvidia Macs.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're looking for it to boot and install, no chance. If it's Boot Camp drivers you're looking for, if she has a unibody MacBook, there is a small chance that the 9600M GT drivers might be there (don't see why Apple would bother not to include the NVIDIA drivers for the GPU's being used in the same generation/time.)

Alternatively, you can call AppleCare for restore discs (approx. $15 per disc).

5. ryanvsrobots thread starter macrumors member

so i got a yes and a no? anyone else try this?

can i go to the apple store and just pick up the cd's or do i have to do it over the phone. halp.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Apple Store won't have restore discs. If they do you're very lucky as you would usually have to call AppleCare for them.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Seeing as it's been 2 days since you created this post, why not just go to the Apple store and check rather than waiting for the "right" answer.

8. ryanvsrobots thread starter macrumors member

because not everyone is lucky enough to have an apple store within a reasonable distance.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There's no reason for you to rebuttal me my man, I was actually answering your question, well, sorta indirectly. It wasn't about me suggesting it, you asked if you could go to the Apple store to pick up the discs. If you are gonna ask US, then you can call your closest Apple store and ask them and go get the discs if they allow it. Your wording made it seem like you lived close by one.

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

At this point, I think you may be better off waiting for Snow Leopard. Only a couple of weeks and $29 away.;)