Lost Mac OS X application Disk [Legal to Torrent]?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Muqy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Muqy macrumors newbie

Hi, I need to refresh (wipe the drive and start again) my Macbook Pro 13". However I cannot find the Mac OS X disc that came with it.

Seeing as I legitimately bought snow leopard (came with the mac) would it be illegal for me to torrent a copy and install it?

Thanks

2. TjeuV macrumors 6502

You bought one license. Copying another would be considered illegal

3. GGJstudios, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can get replacement discs by calling Apple.

4. simsaladimbamba

As the Retail Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD only contains 10.6.3 at maximum, and your Mac may have come with a higher version (2010 and 2011 MBPs), even the torrent of such DVD wold not work. Why not contact Apple, they can get you replacement DVDs.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Please remember the forum rule:

As to the legality of torrenting and whether this is legal or not this will depend very heavily on local laws in your jurisdiction. You haven't said where you are located.

Clearly the most legitimate, and safest, route is to contact Apple for a replacement set of discs. As far as I know they will generally replace them for a nominal fee of ~US$10.

You could also upgrade to Lion for a nominal fee of US$29 without any questions of legality.

B

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

As already said, contact Apple, it'll give you the perfect version of OSX for your machine.