Lost Macbook Pro 2013 Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ciwan, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Ciwan macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

I recently bought myself a Macbook Pro Retina Display edition and it got stolen last week (house got broken into).

I am covered under my contents insurance, but I am worried about my files. I have reported the stolen items, but is there anything I can do to stop the thief from accessing my files? (I had no password on there).

Do the latest Macbook Pros have a a similar thing to 'Find my iPhone'? Can I locate where my MBP is? Or lock it remotely?

Or should I accept the fact that it is now his, he can format it, and use it like he has bought it from the Apple store! :(

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It was last week so even if there were a way, which I believe is Find My Mac, then you waited a bit long to take action. I hope you changed all of your passwords to all accounts you use. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. People suck.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... there is a Find my Mac feature on the Mac that is very similar to Find my Phone. It is one of the iCloud features and you would need to have had it turned on of course before the Mac was stolen. If you did have it turned on you can login to your iCloud account at icloud.com and go to Find my Mac there and select the machine and lock it down and wipe it.

Thing is, for this to work the thief would have to get on the Internet so the Mac could receive the lockdown command. If you did have this enabled, it would be worth a shot to send the lockdown and wipe command, but honestly with this much time gone by the bastards have likely already wiped your drive. :(