Lost Macbook Pro installation disks - what to do?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Notanotabene, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Notanotabene macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was having some problems with my mac (caused by someone deleting my library files) So I decided to reformat it. I couldn't find my installation disks so used a friend's who also has a macbook pro. Everything seemed fine until I realised lots of the drivers didn't work anymore - sound, internet were the two I noticed. My model was bought in April 2008 and my friends sometime in 2007. I posted here and was told that I need to find the disks or later ones, there's no other solution.
    I've asked around and no one else I know has a later version for the macbook pro.
    I've also searched my flat and no luck finding my own. Does anyone have any idea how I might solve this problem? I'm reluctant to go to the apple store unless there's nothing else to do - I have a feeling its going to cost a fortune.
    I don't have applecare on my macbook pro but do for my Mac Pro - was wondering if I requested new disks for that would they work on the laptop (I doubt it seriously myself)

Any help would be very much appreciated. Really missing not having my laptop!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Call AppleCare. They normally replace them for a low-ish cost.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You need the disks for your appropriate computer. Both topics have been covered before. I am not sure how much they cost in the UK, but a call to Apple will tell you.

Try using mroogle.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

install snow leopard, its cheap, and it has everything on it that leopard does, it has some flaws but hopefully 10.6.2 will fix them.

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Worth a shot...

Download the Combo update for 10.5.8 and install it. There is a good chance the drivers you need are in there, if that is in fact your problem.