Lost Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 Install Disks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac.by.jake, Dec 2, 2009.

1. mac.by.jake macrumors member

I'm drowning here trying to get a fresh start with Snow Leopard.

So I'm undergoing reinstalling all my old software from a carbon copy clone of my old hard drive. I upgraded to a larger hard-drive and snow leopard and have opted for a fresh start.

See my thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=829956

I have most of all my software install disks except for Microsoft Office for Mac 2008. Does anyone know if I can get these disks? The copy I have is fully registered and legitimate. I just need the install disks. The other stupid thing I've done is I can't remember where/when I bought them. Its killing me.

The other question I have is if I drag the MS Office 2008 folder from my carbon copy clone applications folder to my new applications folder will it all work correctly? Will it update?

Please help....

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can get replacement disks from Microsoft, but you'd have to show proof of purchase.

3. mac.by.jake thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's what killing me. I know I bought it. I can't remember where or when.

Help me with this:

• If I bought it preloaded and shipped with my mbp from macmall then they would have given me the software box. I don't have the box with my other software boxes
    • Could I have bought it online through a download? I'm thinking I could download it again via a free trial and then put in my registration key.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To my knowledge, Microsoft no longer offers Office as a trial download, so I doubt you got it that way.

5. mac.by.jake thread starter macrumors member

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can't hurt to try.

7. mac.by.jake thread starter macrumors member

I talked to the Microsoft OS guys - they said the trial install wouldn't take my current key. They let me get some new install disks for 23 bucks. Oh well. I took them up on it.

:confused:

8. mac.by.jake thread starter macrumors member

Found this on the internet...

Pretty helpful see the link and the quote below:

http://griffmiester.com/2008/04/17/lost-the-product-key-for-microsoft-office-2008-for-mac/

"Well, I decided that It wouldn’t hurt to try, plenty of space on the HDD, and I wasn’t doing anything else. So I copied the Microsoft Office 2008 folder from the Applications folder on the iMac to the Applications folder on the MacBook. 15mins later….
    I tried opening Word on the MacBook, and it was happy as Larry. So I tried to do a Check for Updates, and that failed. Came up with a message telling me to reinstall Office. So I inserted the DVD and ran the Setup program.
    “A previous Installation of Office 2008 with Product Key …. has been found… Continue Installation?”
    Yep.