Lost mode feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by socbrian, Aug 1, 2014.

1. socbrian macrumors regular

I just had a thought of a cool feature for lost mode. So after your phone is stolen, thieves will turn it off most of the time. This leaves find my iPhone unless as it will never find a phone that is off. My idea is if you can report the phone "lost" on iCloud before the thief can shut it off. My idea is that after you activate lost mode the phone screen will not turn on and phone will not vibrate or make a sound. Essentially the phone is turned off and shuts down all processes other find my phone (save battery). This makes the thief the phone is turned off but it really is not. The phone can be tracked during this time and hopefully increase the recovery.

After the phone is recovered, just go back into iCloud and turn off lost mode to use the phone normally again

2. 1981d macrumors regular

Would be even better if you could secretly activate the camera and mic and spy on the thief.

3. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

On a side note, how do we customise the lost message that appears? I've never actually seen it in action!

4. cynics macrumors G4

I think that would need to be tweaked a little bit. Like lost mode will not let you turn off the phone. It still needs to be able to receive the lost mode message and phone calls in case its just actually lost and the person in procession of it is trying to return it to you.

There might be a jailbreak tweak for this.

Android has an app for that, it will also take a picture and email to you from the front facing camera if an incorrect passcode is entered. AND it will continue to track with the sim pulled. There is a lot of neat stuff possible. The app is called Cerberus I believe. Might be a jailbreak equivalent.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It would be very nice if my iPhone took a picture of the thug who stole it and sent it to my email address along with the GPS data.

6. Joe HS macrumors 6502

The moment your phone is taken a smart thief would turn it off.
    An idea I heard and rather like is to require a passcode (either iCloud or a PIN) to turn off a device or activate airplane mode (specifically not Touch ID input) – preventing thieves from being able to effectively disable Find My iPhone features.
    Additionally however I would say it's important to keep force rebooting an option; this isn't useful for thieves as it'll be back up and reconnect to a network more often than they can micromanage it, hopefully.

Being able to see a path of last known GPS data may be useful for recovery too.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Then call Obama and sit back whilst the Seals retrieve your phone with maximum prejudice.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

That would be awesome. You would know who took it you would hear them. And I don't think you can get charged with invasion of privacy cuz they took my ****ing device...