lost my 3G iPhone!!! what can I do?????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thechidz, Aug 25, 2008.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I lost my 3G iPhone. I lost my 3G iPhone and I dont have the box either. I still have the receipt but it doesnt have the serial number on it. I never registered the phone with apple, so what can I do to report it lost? can they track the phone by IMEI or something? Luckily, I was using the sim in my old iPhone when I lost it so it didnt have my sim in it:eek:

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

If you contact the network for the SIM they can put a block on the card ... until you inform them you are usually liable for misuse. Once you inform then that ceases.

Other than that .... unless you have some kind of loss insurance then there isn't much you can expect to happen.

If this iPhone was activated with AT&T or whichever network is in your country, then they will know which IMEI number your phone had (they took this info down when i bought my iPhone)

In terms of replacing the handset .... unless you have loss insurance then i wouldn't expect anything more than "buy a new one"

3. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

to clarify, the phone I lost did not have an active sim in it at the time. I was using the sim in my other phone so that is not an issue. I am just wondering if there is any way I can report the phone lost to apple so that if someone brings it in for some reason it will show up flagged as lost in their system and they can let me know or something?

4. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Why did you take the sim and put it into another phone, how did you loose the phone.

Personally either BS or severe pwnage.

I very much doubt you'll get another for nothing, you're going to have to pay out.

5. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

to clarify further, not looking for a freebie. I take full responsibility for losing it, I know it was my own fault and my own stupidity:(

I am only wondering if there is a way to notify apple that my particular device was lost? thats it...

6. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I'd contact your carrier first, let them know you have the sim card still, but the IMEI needs blocking, then deal with Apple informing them your carrier know.

And bend over for the charge for a new iPhone.

7. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Its a long shot, but if you go back to the store where you bought it they might be able to look up your name and see the serial # of the phone you purchased that way.

8. Mr. Brown macrumors member

9. bcc69 macrumors newbie

If you bought it at an apple store, and you requested a receipt emailed to you, serial number and IMEI number will be on it.

10. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

how did you manage to lose your brand new iPhone?

Why would you not have your sim in it?

Why would you choose to use your old iPhone if you bought a new one?

11. djchiena macrumors newbie

apple's warranty will not cover for misuse of your device. now if you have insurance through AT&T, they might be able to do something for you. sorry to hear you lost your phone though

12. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

Ill do this thanks

Ill try this too

unfortunately I bout it at an att store and the serial # isnt on the receipt, but will see what they say

I sent the phone with a worthless prepaid att sim in it to my brother, so he could try out the phone with his att sim, and I popped the sim back into my old iphone. extremely stupidly of me, I sent it USPS certified mail and did not put my return address on the package:eek: well of course the package never arrived at my brother's place and the confirmation email I got back from USPS said it couldnt be delivered (some very happy postal worker out there somewhere). completely my fault and extremely stupid I know, please dont rub it in:(

I will see what my att store says

13. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

You can get your phone back through USPS. Go up to your postal service place and tell them the problem. They will give you a form to fill out and they will get your phone.

I send a large money order once through USPS regular mail. It never arrived at its destination or back to my home. So I filled out the form and two weeks later. BAM! I got it back and sent it fedex.

14. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

bro you didn't insure the iPhone with the postal carrier? Risky risky move. I wish you the best of luck in your situation.

15. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

If you have the receipt that the post office gives you when you send something certified, it seems that you should be able to get it back. It's probably sitting in a post office somewhere. If you have that receipt still (check your wallet, purse, car, whatever), I would speak with your local postmaster about requesting the package back.

16. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

I asked them about it and it looks like I will have to go to the huge regional center in my area code where it was shipped from New York City. Doesnt look good Im afraid as the only record my receipt gives them is the zip code it was sent from. I cant believe I was so stupid not to put a return address on it:mad: But I actually thought certified mail was a guarantee, but its not you have to send it express for them to guarantee delivery

also I used the automated teller machine... stupid stupid

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

No offense man ... but you took several careless liberties with such a new, (relatively) expensive and "hot" item.

But, hopefully you're no worse off for the wear (except for the money) and other people will read this and not make the same mistakes.

18. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

no offense taken and believe me Im beating myself up about it

19. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Still, I was pretty sure that when you send an item certified, that item has a unique number on the postage sticker somewhere that matches the number on your receipt. I didn't think it was only identified by ZIP code. I'll take a look next time I'm in the post office at those stickers. I would definitely still take your receipt to that regional center if you can.

20. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

If you do ever end up finding the Serial and IMEI numbers, I would ping Apple anyway. Maybe they have a "blacklist" they can add your phone to, and notify you when someone tries to register / activate it.

Then maybe you can take some follow-up actions.

21. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

thats exactly what Im hoping for... hopefully att can get me the serial number from my receipt