Lost my Address Book addresses

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gorillamo, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Gorillamo macrumors newbie

I use OS 10.4.11 on an eleven year old G4 (can't afford to upgrade everything).

Last night, I trashed the Garage Band folder out of my Application Support folder to gain space. I was careful to only trash Garage Band associated files. Yet today, all of the entries in my Address Book are gone. In their place are blank cards all labeled No Name.

When I try clicking on one of the blank cards to see what, if anything appears, I get the Spinning Beachball, and eventually have to force-quit Address Book.

Anyone have an idea as to what may have happened? I'm pretty sure I was careful not to select anything else but Garage Band files to trash.

I even used my unerase utility bit saw nothing that came from the Application Support folder.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not sure what may have deleted them, but you should be able to restore from a backup. You DO have a backup, right?

3. Gorillamo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Perhaps I should have explained differently. I have backup, so that's okay. What really puzzles me is Address Book's lack of response. I suppose the simplest fix is to reinstall Address Book.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Before you reinstall, try deleting the plist file and relaunching. It's located here:

/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist

5. Gorillamo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I keep forgetting about the plist. But in this case, it didn't help.

On to reinstalling!