Lost my Administrative pass word

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AA/Christian, May 18, 2008.

1. AA/Christian macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was downloading some freeware applications (AppleWorks, Msn Messenger and FireFox) They were downloading fine. Once they were finished downloading I opened them and the Installer application came up. I went Through all the steps without until I reached the Install step, The application asked me for my Administrative Password for permission to download the application, Sadly I have forgotten my admin password. How do I recover it?
    I am Running a mac G5 Os X 10.4.5

Help appreciated, Feedback please.

Attached Files:

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Boot from the original installer DVD that came with your mac. After selecting English, stop there. Go to the Utilities Menu. There you will find items for reseting the password.

BTW, Appleworks is not freeware!

3. AA/Christian thread starter macrumors newbie

I did insert my intall disc but when I try to open it I have to put in an admin password.

Edit: will I lose all the data I have in my computer if I restart Mac Os X?

Attached Files:

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Reboot with the install DVD in and hold down C to boot from the installer CD. You can then use that to reset the password.

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

To be clear, you boot your Mac from the installer DVD. When the first screen comes up, select English, then stop there.

Go to the Utilities menu. There you will find the options for resetting passwords.

Once you have reset your passwords, shutdown or restart. You will boot normally from your internal disk.

You will not lose any of your data.

6. SamoanDude macrumors regular

There is also another way to restart the setup screen from the terminal. I forgot how to do it, but a google search will find it.