Lost my bookmarks, address book contents, etc.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jnette, Jan 11, 2008.

1. jnette macrumors member

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhh !!!!

NOW what did I do ???:confused:

I was fooling around earlier, and somehow created a file with another name in the "users" and must have accidently switched something, because now when I go to Safari, all my previous bookmarks are GONE and they are all back to Apple bookmarks. :mad:

And I had worked so long and hard the past couple days setting up all the bookmarks I so needed.. and not only that, but the same happened to my address book. EMPTY !!! :eek: Spent hours typing in all that info, and now it's all GONE ! :(

I just KNOW all that stuff is still IN THERE... SOMEWHERE. I went to the new folder that I mistakenly created, opened it, went to "library" within that new folder, then to Safari, finally got to Bookmarks plist... and then got stuck.

I don't know what application to use to OPEN the boomarks plist. ????

I was hoping my old bookmarks would be in there.

Actually, now that I'm looking at everything, ALL my preferences have been reset...everything is back to square one as if I had just started from the first time. What happened? And how do I fix it? Or do I have to start everything all over again.. bookmarks, system preferences, adres book.. the works???

Arrrrrghhhhhh !!!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sounds like you may have renamed your Home folder. Here are Apple's tips for fixing it. Don't do it again. :)

3. jnette thread starter macrumors member

Thanx.. AGAIN ! :D

I know, I know.. I'm bad. :rolleyes:

I just finished setting up a new address book, mail account, all my system preferences, bookmarks, etc. from scratch again.

Of course I just NOW went back to this site to see if anyone had replied to my plea for help. Go figure.

I did try several searches last night to see if I could find info on this topic, but didn't find anything useful. You came up with the right info.. thanx so much for the link ! It was very informative. I'm trying to learn a little bit here every day. Truth be told, I don't know what I'd do without this site !!! :)
    So much to learn !

So...... now that I've set everything up again, I need to find all that "old" stuff and get rid of it. At least I didn't have years worth of saved links, bookmarks, and other stuff.. no documents or pictures yet, either. So it wasn't a major disaster, just a another annoyance I didn't need. At least I'm getting plenty of practice...LOL !

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha! Damn. :D

The old user data should still be in your Users folder. I'd probably leave it be though, since it won't take up a massive amount of space and if you delete the wrong one, then you might have to start again, again.

Probably one key tip to take away from this is to not rename, delete or move anything you have not created yourself. Follow this rule and you should be pretty right. :)