Lost my car keys! HELP!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iLikeToDrum, Oct 12, 2011.

1. iLikeToDrum macrumors member

Went to dinner with friend, took his car, thought I left the keys in there, must've brought them in with me to dinner and forgot them. Juuuuuust got dropped off at my house, had to continually knock to get in...

Regardless, bottom line.. What do I do to get another key immediately and what do you think it will cost me?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My Dad's LandRover Discovery key replacement is looking at $500 :eek: But what you can do if you've got time is buy the standard, uncut key from overseas which will cost like $100, then get it cut when you get it, which costs about $50. Might be diff for your car, but thats for a LandRover...

So you can either pay $500 and get the key quickly, or wait for ages and get the key for $150-$200...

3. darster Suspended

Just re read the title of thread. Car dealer will replace. If you have low deductible on comprehensive, then insurance may cover most of cost.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well the thread title is 'lost my car keys' so I guess its the car keys... Pretty much everyone has more than one set of house keys anyway.

5. darster Suspended

Noticed that, that's why i changed my post.

6. iLikeToDrum thread starter macrumors member

Any idea what it'd cost? It's an older car, so no remote thing. Manual locks.

7. darster Suspended

Won't be expensive then. It's those built in chips, and programming the key that costs money. Since it's just a key without a chip, try going to a local locksmith. Will be cheaper that way.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Go to the dealer with your vin and proof you own the car. They can cut you a specific key for like ten bucks.

That failing, if you can get access to the interior of your car, most cars have a way to take the tumbler out. Bring that to a locksmith and it is cheap, like 50 dollars or so.

Good luck.