Lost My Documents And Download Stacks On Dock!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newbiemacgal, Feb 8, 2010.

1. newbiemacgal macrumors member

Hi all,

As my name says, I am new to Mac. Tonight, not sure what I did, but I lost my blue download and documents folder and am freaking out. They are no longer on the dock of my Imac 27.

How do I get them back? I have never used Time Capsule.

Please help.:(

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Open finder, click on your username, and drag the folders into the dock :)

3. newbiemacgal thread starter macrumors member

Thank You!

Just one more question: how do I get the blue folders back? I was able to drag the folder to the dock but the blue folders disappeared and now I have two documents on the dock. When I click on each everything else is there. Just lost the blue pre-made "documents" and "download" folders.

I really appreciate your quick response! Now I won't be up all night fretting.:eek:

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Right-click (or control-click) your stack and select Display as->Folder

5. newbiemacgal thread starter macrumors member

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...and, if anything ever disappears from the sidebar in your Finder windows, the solution is the same: Drag it over there from wherever the original is. It's easy to accidently drag something off of the Dock or the sidebar.

7. newbiemacgal thread starter macrumors member

Not working as before

Hello all,

I managed to get two blue download folders on my desktop. One is on the dock and one is on the desktop. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the one on the desktop, where all the new stuff goes, to the dock. Should I start over? And how?

Before I learned how to get the folders back to the dock, I panicked and went through the trash and pulled out favored documents. This content is in the document folder on the dock. The document folder with "everything" is on the dsekstop, and when I try t drag it to the dock it won't come? Even after throwing away the dock folder.

Since all this happen, the latest document opened or downloaded will no longer stay open on the dock like it did originally. Somehow, I have screwed up what had been working flawlessly before I "lost" the document and download folders.

Any advice?:eek:

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, let's see if I can sort through this one...
    If it's in the Dock, it's not on the Desktop. Those are two mutually exclusive locations.

Ok, you don't move things from somewhere else to the Dock. What happens when you drag something to the Dock is that you create a new thing, it's not a copy, it's a shortcut to the thing you drag to the Dock.

I'm afraid you lost me there. You start with mentioning getting "folders back to the dock" then you mention going "through the trash" as if removing something from the Dock puts it in the Trash. It doesn't. When you remove something from the Dock, it just disappears, vaporizes, vanishes, ceases to exist, "poofs". It's just gone. Then you mention that these documents you pulled out of the trash are "in the document folder on the dock". No, they aren't. Documents don't reside in folders on the Dock (called Stacks, by the way). They are just shortcuts to the actual files in the actual folder represented by the Stack.

The Documents folder should reside in your Users/YourUserName (newbiemacgal?) Folder. Some applications put things in that location by default. Stacks (again, shortcuts to folders) live on the right side of the Dock, assuming that the Dock is at the bottom of your screen. If you're trying to drag a folder to the left side of the Dock, they won't go.

You lost me again. What do you mean by "stay open on the Dock"?