lost my files in mac due to format

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thomson001, Nov 7, 2011.

1. thomson001 macrumors newbie

hi guys,

accidentally i formatted a complete volume in my mac system. few of my important files are gone. unfortunately i dont have its backup. i know its my mistake. is there any way to recover the formatted volume?? any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

2. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

It's possible, as long as you don't do too much more. there are programs out there that can try to get your data after a format, but you just don't have a guarantee that you will be able to get all of it. The more you use your newly formatted drive, the more likely it is that you're lessening your chances of getting the old data back.

I know data rescue does a good job you can visit their site here:
    http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

Best of luck to you.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

First you need to stop using the mac, turn it off and leave it off. The longer its in use, the less likely you'll be able to recover your data.

secondly, try using data rescue or a data retrieval service.

The odds of getting all your data back is stacked against you, but you can try to set yourself up for success by following what I posted.

On a side note, perhaps this will be a painful lesson to back up your data. Apple makes it incredibly easy to back up your data with Time Machine.

Sorry to hear about the troubles though :(

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"accidentally i formatted a complete volume in my mac system. few of my important files are gone. unfortunately i dont have its backup. i know its my mistake. is there any way to recover the formatted volume?? any help would be appreciated."

As another poster already mentioned, you might consider a file recovery app such as:
    - DataRescue3
    - Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery
    - Disk Drill

But can you spare $25 to start? If you can, here's how to prevent this from happening:

- Get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    (many items shown, they all work the same, pick one that's cheap)

- Then, add a "bare drive" of your choice (I like newegg.com as a vendor). Even an old drive will do (so long as its "SATA")

- Then, download the FREE "CarbonCopyCloner" app from:
    http://www.bombich.com/

When you have these things:
    1. Plug the dock into the Mac
    2. Put the drive into the dock
    3. Turn the dock on
    4. Initialize the drive using Disk Utility
    5. Use CCC to "clone" the contents of your main drive to the docked drive

Do this simple routine, and you won't be posting any more messages like the one you posted above.

You can even boot from the "docked clone drive" to do disk maintenence, etc.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

A standard reformat does not remove the data from the drive, but merely deletes the directory, which stores the locations of the files on the drive.

Data Rescue 3 is great software for this, assuming as noted that you have not used the drive since then.

jW

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Your software?

8. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Wrong. Format or deletion simply instruct the hard drive that sectors are ok to be overwritten. Until it is actually overwritten partially or completely, the data is still is fact intact.